• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

216558A 29 Crossing out of HOV Lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Guest2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

I recently received a ticket for crossing a double yellow. Guilty as charged. When I received the ticket in the mail, my last name was spelled incorrectly and my drivers license number was wrong. The license plate number and address were correct though. After reading through previous threads and other forums, I feel questioning whether or not I have a case has been beaten to death. From my understanding, clerical errors are not grounds for dismissal. If the officer shows up, I pay. However, my question is this: If I pay the ticket online, with the system having the wrong information, will the point go on my record? I have no problem paying the ticket (except for how outrageous the bail is). If there is a chance my insurance won't be affected just by paying it online then Id rather go that route. I feel that if I try to contest and show up, they'll only re-mediate the mistakes and I get the point and pay anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

I recently received a ticket for crossing a double yellow. Guilty as charged. When I received the ticket in the mail, my last name was spelled incorrectly and my drivers license number was wrong. The license plate number and address were correct though. After reading through previous threads and other forums, I feel questioning whether or not I have a case has been beaten to death. From my understanding, clerical errors are not grounds for dismissal. If the officer shows up, I pay. However, my question is this: If I pay the ticket online, with the system having the wrong information, will the point go on my record? I have no problem paying the ticket (except for how outrageous the bail is). If there is a chance my insurance won't be affected just by paying it online then Id rather go that route. I feel that if I try to contest and show up, they'll only re-mediate the mistakes and I get the point and pay anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
When you pay your ticket online, you will be asked to provide your full name, your current address, your driver license number and the citation number on the ticket. This information not only effectively connects you to the ticket that was issued, it also serves to correct any misinformation inadvertently entered on the citation by the officer.

Hello, points. :)

Your best bet may be to appear in court and hope the issuing officer does not show up, which could result in the ticket being dismissed (possible). Or, if the officer appears at the scheduled time on the scheduled date, you could always point out the errors on the citation and hope the ticket is dismissed for these reasons (less likely).

Showing up for the court date also generally results in a reduction in the fine amount in exchange for a guilty plea. I've seen a $300+ ticket reduced to about $120. It's a pretty sweet deal. If you haven't had a citation in the last 18 months, you can also do traffic school to erase the point from your record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">