• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

22 year old ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjackelen

What is the name of your state? live in Wyoming ticket in Utah

My husband went to the local DMV yesterdaay to have his motorcycle endorsement added to his driver's license. The lady at the DMV informed him that she could not add the endorsement because he has an outstanding violation in Utah. This violation is from August of 1983, making this violation 22 years old. :mad: He has no recollection of ever having a ticket in Utah! In the 20 years we have been together he has always refused to drive in Utah! The information provided by our DMV is lacking a lot of information that would normally be on a traffic citation such as his sex, weight, eye color, hair color, ss# etc. This is information which is provided on your driver's license in our state.

I have been trying to find information as to the statutes of limitation for traffic offenses for the state of Utah but have been unable to find this information. If anyone could assist with this information it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has advice on this matter that too would be greatly appreciated.

racer72

There is no SOL, if the ticket was not taken care of, a warrant will be issued and a possible license suspension was granted. When the warrant was granted the SOL was suspended. The missing info is irrelevent unless your hubby wants to prove he did not recieve a ticket in Utah. The only option is to either go to Utah to take care of the ticket or hire a Utah lawyer to check out the problem.

jjackelen

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information. I spoke with my insurance carrier while waiting for a reply and he told me the same thing. He also stated that people need to think of driving as a priveledge regardless of where they live. Because driving is a priviledge there is no statute of limitations. :confused: Whoever decided this has never lived in a rural state like Wyoming where there is an average of 90 miles between towns. :D

My husband called the folks in Utah. They told him this was for a DUI. He has never been picked up in Utah for anything let alone a DUI and he explained this to him. They asked if he had ever had a Utah drivers license. He replied no. They took his call back information and explained they would talk with the DA about this case. Within 30 minutes he got a call back. They have dropped the case because they would have no way to prove he was actually the one responsible for this DUI. They also said the person was holding a Utah driver's license with a Utah address. He can prove he has never had a Utah address.

Happy Trails

jjackelen said:
Thanks for the information. I spoke with my insurance carrier while waiting for a reply and he told me the same thing. He also stated that people need to think of driving as a priveledge regardless of where they live. Because driving is a priviledge there is no statute of limitations. :confused: Whoever decided this has never lived in a rural state like Wyoming where there is an average of 90 miles between towns. :D

My husband called the folks in Utah. They told him this was for a DUI. He has never been picked up in Utah for anything let alone a DUI and he explained this to him. They asked if he had ever had a Utah drivers license. He replied no. They took his call back information and explained they would talk with the DA about this case. Within 30 minutes he got a call back. They have dropped the case because they would have no way to prove he was actually the one responsible for this DUI. They also said the person was holding a Utah driver's license with a Utah address. He can prove he has never had a Utah address.
Sounds like possible identity theft.

racer72

There have been many issues with the Non Resident Violators Compact attaching past citations to the wrong people, especially those with common names. When info such as old tickets are entered and no matches are found for that name and license number, the citation is attached to what is called a logical person of interest. A family member had a similar problem from a ticket that was issued to someone with her name, the only problem she was 8 when the ticket was issued. It took her 2 trips to Idaho the rectify the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">