• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

22107 vc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

homie.n

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Short version: got an "unsafe lane change" ticket and trying to decide what to do. I feel that the ticket is unreasonably expensive and that I may have a case for fighting it.

The location that my ticket was written down for is the "300 block of a certain street". This block is actually only one lane going in each direction except for right where it turns into the 400 block it splits into two lanes and then stops at an intersection stop sign. Does it seem reasonable then to make the argument that how could I have made an unsafe lane change if I couldn't possibly have been changing lanes? And that even if I moved lanes I was simply choosing a lane out of the two where the road split?

Also, does it matter that on the original ticket (which I have a copy of) specifically has "turn signal" noted on it? I feel that if I could show that the turn signal was simply unnecessary in this area I might have a case.... maybe? maybe?

Nothing else is written on the ticket and I was not cited for anything else, for example I was not speeding.

Jim_bo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Short version: got an "unsafe lane change" ticket and trying to decide what to do. I feel that the ticket is unreasonably expensive and that I may have a case for fighting it.

The location that my ticket was written down for is the "300 block of a certain street". This block is actually only one lane going in each direction except for right where it turns into the 400 block it splits into two lanes and then stops at an intersection stop sign. Does it seem reasonable then to make the argument that how could I have made an unsafe lane change if I couldn't possibly have been changing lanes? And that even if I moved lanes I was simply choosing a lane out of the two where the road split?

Also, does it matter that on the original ticket (which I have a copy of) specifically has "turn signal" noted on it? I feel that if I could show that the turn signal was simply unnecessary in this area I might have a case.... maybe? maybe?

Nothing else is written on the ticket and I was not cited for anything else, for example I was not speeding.
You should really give all the details.

homie.n

erm... I'm really not sure what other details are necessary. Clearly I've never dealt with a situation like this before or traffic court at all for that matter (I've never gotten a ticket). As such, I'm not certain what "details" are pertinent. If you make some suggestions I would be happy to provide additional information.

I_Got_Banned

Well, here is what the statute says (and its quite clear on what elements constitute such a violation):

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.​
Were there any other vehicles around you? Did you cut somebody off?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">