• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

22349(a) VC 86 on a 65

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R0b0t

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello everybody,
I received my first speeding ticket the other day, the ticket stated that I was going 86 mph and the CHP officer used Lidar to detect my speed, the thing is I saw the officer in front of me entering the freeway from another freeway. From the research that I have done a lidar unit must be used while stationary. Is it possible the officer was able to detect my speed and get up to speed on the freeway in front of me if he was in fact stationary when he clocked my speed? Also a friend suggested i try to fight the ticket with trial by declaration if I do this and am found guilty would I still have the option of going to traffic school to keep the ticket off my record? Any other advise? Thank you for your time.

sashatlhs

it's possible there was another cop earlier on the freeway who clocked you in at 86 and then he radioed ahead to the cop that stopped you to get you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
LIDAR can only be used while stationary.

Either another officer was the LIDAR operator or the officer who stopped you was and you just didn't see him when he locked you in. He could have been quite a distance away - well over 1000 feet possibly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">