• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

23123(a) VC - Cell Phone...non-resident and unaware of law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bennyt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Texas and was traveling on a camping trip to California. While I was there, I was visiting some friends. I was talking on my phone and driving next to a police officer and he pulled me over. I had not a clue that it was illegal to talk on the phone while driving.

I was issued a citation and wanted to see if there was a way to get the citation amount lowered. The dmv website says it should be about $20, however the county of Ventura has over a $100 in admin fees that they add on.

Is there a way to get that reduced?

Crazy part is that every where I looked, people were on the phone.

Last edited:

quincy

There is an issue of some sort with the "preview" feature on this site. If you preview your thread's first post prior to submitting it, it gets deleted. Not sure why. The problem has been reported to forum techs to see if there is a remedy. In the meantime, please use the "edit post" feature to add your question. Don't forget to add your state name, too.

Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Enough states now have cell phone laws that people should be careful when travelling out of state.

bennyt

Enough states now have cell phone laws that people should be careful when travelling out of state.
Yes, I understand the ignorance part. I did a poll at work of about 7-8 people and not one had ever heard of any law anywhere in the Country. I looked up and 13 states have laws, none are in neighboring states to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, I understand the ignorance part. I did a poll at work of about 7-8 people and not one had ever heard of any law anywhere in the Country. I looked up and 13 states have laws, none are in neighboring states to me.
You can ask for a reduction in the fees, there is no guarantee that you will get it.

I am curious, what state are you from?

racer72

Last time I drove into California a few years ago, there was a big sign at the border stating cell phone use while driving was illegal in the state.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Texas and was traveling on a camping trip to California. While I was there, I was visiting some friends. I was talking on my phone and driving next to a police officer and he pulled me over. I had not a clue that it was illegal to talk on the phone while driving.

I was issued a citation and wanted to see if there was a way to get the citation amount lowered. The dmv website says it should be about $20, however the county of Ventura has over a $100 in admin fees that they add on.

Is there a way to get that reduced?

Crazy part is that every where I looked, people were on the phone.
As someone else already said, ignorance of the law is not a valid defense in any state in the US. Its going to cost you a whole lot less in stress and hassle to just pay the fine.

TigerD

Ignorance of the law may be no excuse but that maxim is pretty much worn out because municipalities, counties, states, state agencies, feds, federal agencies, and Congress pass and approve more than 40,000 new laws per year.

Most people are ignorant of most of the laws that affect their daily lives.

Seriously, if the state is going to proscribe any behavior and impose a strict liability standard, should not the state take some reasonable measure to inform persons visiting from out of state that a particular behavior is illegal? Perhaps, something like a sign on the highway coming into the state similar to the "Welcome to California" signs?

DC

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...should not the state take some reasonable measure to inform persons visiting from out of state that a particular behavior is illegal? Perhaps, something like a sign on the highway coming into the state similar to the "Welcome to California" signs?
Last time I drove into California a few years ago, there was a big sign at the border stating cell phone use while driving was illegal in the state.

;) :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">