• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd Speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punupara

What is the name of your state? WA

I feel little unlucky, this time as I was going only around 67-70 Mph in 65MPH zone. I was driving at around 8:00 PM with high beam lights on. High beam lights are very much required for own safety as it is very dark on WA 26. The offcier coming from opposite direction, stopped me and told me that I was driving 78 Mph and has mu high beam on.
He wrote me a ticket and also did not ask me to sign it, which makes me little suspicious, wheter i was really that fast as stated by officer.

I live almost 300 miles away from where I got this ticket. But I am willing to contest it.

So please advise what are my best options

Thanks
Punu

Hey There

Posted on #7702 Washington State Procedural Rules

10-8-07

Punu, There is a difference in being cited for speeding and having verified proof that speeding had occurred.

In Washington Pacing, aircraft,VASCAR, radar, lazer are used by the officer to determine the speed of the car he has cited. All have built in flaws.

Basically in Washington a cited driver has the right to the officer's notes etc. BEFORE trial.* The driver can also subpoena the officer to be present at trial.* If the officer fails to appear at trial *the case should be dismissed. The driver also has the right to cross-examine the driver at trial.*(Referred to in Washington as a Contested Hearing)If the judge rules against the driver, he can file an appeal.

The other way to enter a not guilty plea is to file an avidavit. Doing this the driver gives up his right to appeal & cannot file for discovery.
This means it's HIS written sworn statement versus the officer's sworn statement.The judgement is FINAL.

The rules for court procedure in Washington were posted on Oct. 7-07
in a reply to #7702. by Hey There. The title of the first post is Cluless No More followed by a second post continuing with Court Procedure in Washington for traffic tickets.
Two further sources for information are offered (since you state that you are willing to contest it )in the 2nd reply by Hey There.

A lawyer should be able to advise you if the ticket is invalid because the officer didn't have you sign it.

Regards,
Hey There 10-8-07

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">