• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd Speeding Ticket Within 18 Months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bulldog73

What is the name of your state? New York

I received a speeding ticket in November of '05 which gave me 6 points on my license (26 miles over posted speed limit)- I pleaded guilty and just paid the fine and then a portion ($100 of $300 fine) of the Driver repsponsibility Assessment. This past Thursday, March 8, 2006, I received another speeding ticket which will give me 4 points on my license (20 miles over speed limit) and also received a No Seat Belt ticket which will add another 2 points to my license for a total of 12 points equalling a suspended license. Should I plea Not Guilty to see if my recent tickets and points can be reduced in court? If I plead Not Guilty, should I have a lawyer with me when I go to court or does the court automatically assign a lawyer on your hearing date?

I took a driver's safety course last year (April '05) in order to get my motorcycle license. Do you think it would benefit me to take another safety course prior to my court date to show that I am making an effort to be a safer driver???

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Karen
Edit/Delete Message

seniorjudge

bulldog73 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I received a speeding ticket in November of '05 which gave me 6 points on my license (26 miles over posted speed limit)- I pleaded guilty and just paid the fine and then a portion ($100 of $300 fine) of the Driver repsponsibility Assessment. This past Thursday, March 8, 2006, I received another speeding ticket which will give me 4 points on my license (20 miles over speed limit) and also received a No Seat Belt ticket which will add another 2 points to my license for a total of 12 points equalling a suspended license. Should I plea Not Guilty to see if my recent tickets and points can be reduced in court? If I plead Not Guilty, should I have a lawyer with me when I go to court or does the court automatically assign a lawyer on your hearing date?

I took a driver's safety course last year (April '05) in order to get my motorcycle license. Do you think it would benefit me to take another safety course prior to my court date to show that I am making an effort to be a safer driver???

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Karen
Edit/Delete Message
Q: Should I plea Not Guilty to see if my recent tickets and points can be reduced in court?

A: Yes.

Q: If I plead Not Guilty, should I have a lawyer with me when I go to court or does the court automatically assign a lawyer on your hearing date?

A: Have your lawyer with you.

Q: I took a driver's safety course last year (April '05) in order to get my motorcycle license. Do you think it would benefit me to take another safety course prior to my court date to show that I am making an effort to be a safer driver???

A: It will be your RECORD that the court will look at and your record is horrible. So, you are not really making an effort to be a safer driver.

JETX

The best thing you can do for your neighbors and their children is to get your ass off the streets until you can PROVE you are mature enough to be behind the wheel of a deadly weapon. Clearly, with 2 MAJOR speeding violations in less than 6 months, you are NOT mature enough now.

You Are Guilty

If the driver safety course you took was DMV-approved, it will knock 3 points off your license. Which means that if it wasn't, I'd be looking into attending an approved course well before the new tickets go to court.

And slow the hell down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">