• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 mistakes on speeding ticket in pa, fight?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wildgurrl

Get pulled over for going 88 in a 45. I plead not guilty.

The ticket has 3 mistakes on it. First of all, my address is wrong/mispelled. Second of all, he wrote down 2006 for the car year, when i own a 2000 chevy cavalier (they didn't even make cavaliers in 2006). Finally, he wrote down that the type of car is a sedan (4 door). MY car is a coupe (2 door).

Can I get the ticket dismissed on a technicality?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
wildgurrl said:
Okay, I was in a hurry to get to my daughter from a dental appointment. My aunt had been watching my 8 month old daughter for me, and she almost choked to death on a button, had called me freaking out about it. All I can hear is my daughter screaming in the background. I'm in hysterics, so I rush home. Bad idea. Get pulled over for going 88 in a 45. I plead not guilty.

The ticket has 3 mistakes on it. First of all, my address is wrong/mispelled. Second of all, he wrote down 2006 for the car year, when i own a 2000 chevy cavalier (they didn't even make cavaliers in 2006). Finally, he wrote down that the type of car is a sedan (4 door). MY car is a coupe (2 door).

Can I get the ticket dismissed on a technicality?
You admit you were rushing/speeding so you want to get out of it? Just pay the ticket.

wildgurrl

I am sure I was not going that fast. It would be suicide trying to speed on 83 between the Leader Heights exit and Queen Street exit. They have the highway tore up from construction.

Murderers and rapists get released on technicalities quite frequently. Besides, It is the officers job to write out those tickets, least of all write the information out correctly. I'm just saying that I shouldn't be stuck with a ticket when the officer has made 3 mistakes on the citation. I was riding with 2 other cars going my speed, how is it fair for me to get the ticket and not them?

wildgurrl

okay i changed it around a little. sorry, i know if i say that in front of a judge then i have no case. i am not familiar with how this would go. I have never really had a ticket before. i just need help. please give me advice on how to go about working around this ticket.

NONE of those errors will defend you from the ticket. You were almost 40+ over the speed limit. You may be looking at jail time. Don't plan on getting off on those techs.

Murderers don't get off by a mispelled word......

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
wildgurrl said:
I am sure I was not going that fast. It would be suicide trying to speed on 83 between the Leader Heights exit and Queen Street exit. They have the highway tore up from construction.

Murderers and rapists get released on technicalities quite frequently. Besides, It is the officers job to write out those tickets, least of all write the information out correctly. I'm just saying that I shouldn't be stuck with a ticket when the officer has made 3 mistakes on the citation. I was riding with 2 other cars going my speed, how is it fair for me to get the ticket and not them?
Those technicalities are constitutional violations. Mis-spelled or miswritten words are NOT constitutional violations. The 2 other cars may have been going your speed but guess what -- you were the one stopped. Saying but everyone else was doing it makes you sound like a petulant teenager.

sukharev

Well, if it's trully your first violation, I'll give you a benefit of the doubt ;)

You can indeed try to use the error in car description, but do realize you are not likely to succeed (as the previous posts explained). To use the error, you have to let officer testify as to the car he stopped, then you can ask him to clarify which car it was during cross examination. Since he will be reading from the ticket, he will repeat the description. Then you can testify and introduce into evidence your car registration (which he should have had), that says it's not the same car. Would have worked better if the color was different, just the year and body type may not be enough. Then you can motion to strike the officer's testimony because of a mismatch.

That said, your best approach would be to negotiate with DA/officer before the trial, to lower the charge, and accept your responsibility and plead guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">