• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 month suspension for 2 violations in 2 years?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annabell

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi I just got a letter telling me that since I am under 21 and have received 2 tickets in the past 24 months they were suspending my license for 3 months. Both tickets were issued for going 11-19 miles over. I have a clean record aside from these.

I know as a 20 year old I can't get a probationary license but I can get a restricted drivers license for work and classes. I read on illinois DMV site that these are rarely awarded and if they are they are very strict with the times and dates you are allowed to drive for. The problem is I am a nanny for a family so that isn't an official employer but I need my car to work. I also need to drive back to college in a month at the end of winter break. On top of all that I am recovering from a series of surgeries that require lots of physical therapy and doctors appointments often on little to no notice. I have a 2 hour drive from school to my surgeons so I need to be able to make that drive if necessary because I can't guarantee that somebody will have time to take me.

Should I try to fight this? Is there anything I can do? I already sent my license in because by the time I got home and got the letter it was due in 3 days. Doesn't three months seem a little harsh when I have a clean record and they only had to give me one month? Can I do something about that?

annabell

Only "under the table" in the same sense as every other girl who babysits

the notice didn't say anything about an appeal, it gave me no options, all it said was to send in my license and wait for them to tell me if I can apply for a RDL or not.

This whole process is going to cost me hundreds of dollars which I won't be able to pay if I can't get to work. I know that "life's not fair" but this seems a bit outrageous.

Silverplum

Only "under the table" in the same sense as every other girl who babysits
Then you're a "babysitter." "Nannies" are different.
It's not like it's difficult to find a closer/more convenient babysitting job. You won't be able to be a nanny without a driver's license, in a practical sense. Or without a clean criminal record.
annabell said:
This whole process is going to cost me hundreds of dollars which I won't be able to pay if I can't get to work. I know that "life's not fair" but this seems a bit outrageous.
Don't speed on your way to the hearing.
Learn your town's bus schedule.

lwpat

Unfortunately this falls under the "you're supposed to know the law" rule that grownups have to follow. Never do anything in the legal system without first finding out the consequences. When you plead guilty you are assumed to know what you are doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">