• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 Tickets I never even received!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k5rnt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
2 or 3 years ago i was pulled over in Dallas for no tag light. I was arrested for a warrant that was out for me in another county. I stayed the night in jail even though my wife paid my bail in less than 2 hours. When I was released the next day I went to the other county and paid off the warrant and all was good. Now I just received a letter from a law firm representing the city of Dallas claiming that I owe over $1,500 for 3 tickets they claim I got that night. I never received ticket one. What are my options if any? Are these tickets really valid?

I_Got_Banned

When I was released the next day I went to the other county and paid off the warrant and all was good.
Can you explain what you mean by "paid off the warrant"???
I mean did you not appear in front of a judge at all? Did you post bail? Did you plead guilty and pay the fines? But... that is not what your question is about.

Are these tickets really valid?
I highly doubt that anyone here can tell you whether the tickets are valid or not... If you want a guess, then I guess "yes, they have at least claimed that they are valid, otherwise you would not have received the letter".

Contact the law firm (or the court that has jurisdiction) and ask them for copies of the citations and look into whether they are valid or not (or come back here and ask more questions).

k5rnt

Can you explain what you mean by "paid off the warrant"???
I mean did you not appear in front of a judge at all? Did you post bail? Did you plead guilty and pay the fines? But... that is not what your question is about.

I highly doubt that anyone here can tell you whether the tickets are valid or not... If you want a guess, then I guess "yes, they have at least claimed that they are valid, otherwise you would not have received the letter".

Contact the law firm (or the court that has jurisdiction) and ask them for copies of the citations and look into whether they are valid or not (or come back here and ask more questions).

Yes I went to the court house and went in front of a judge, paid off my fines and the charges were wiped from my record.

I have requested copies of the tickets. So right now I am waiting for those to arrive. The part that upsets me isn't the tickets I WAS in the wrong on those. What gets to me is that because the cop didn't give me the citations so now the fines are more than double due to FTA and court costs.

patstew

The part that upsets me isn't the tickets I WAS in the wrong on those. What gets to me is that because the cop didn't give me the citations so now the fines are more than double due to FTA and court costs.
That's not what you asked in your original post. You said in the last sentence "Are these tickets really valid?"

I_Got_Banned

Here I was thinking that I was innocent until proven guilty.
There are a few issues here that you're failing to understand. Innocent until proven guilty does not mean you can sit on your hands, do nothing, and assume that since you didn't contest the tickets that they will just go away.

Obviously, you already know that is not how it works especially after you're getting arrested for another ticket that you had either failed to appear in court to defend yourself against, or failed to pay after your failed appearance. That case is over and done with though... You paid your fines and the case was closed. (By the way, paying the fine means that you plead "guilty" and the case was closed, but that does not mean that they were wiped from your record as you stated in post #3. It means they went on your record).

Moving along to the tickets that they claim they issued to you 2 to 3 years ago (when you were pulled over (for no tag light) and later arrested for an outstanding warrant). If you can somehow prove that the officer did not serve you with those citations (at, during or after the time that you were arrested) then you might have a claim as to whether the charges were in fact valid or not. Without such proof, you will have to stand before a judge to defend yourself against those charges... But even then, having the ability to defend yourself can only happen under the assumption that your state law does not enter a conviction against you if you failed to appear on the date stated on the citation.

Get copies of the citations and see if you can somehow prove that you were never served. If that is the case, argue the tickets as were invalid and therefore the FTAs and the collection account are both unwarranted. Otherwise, check your state law to see whether the you are entitled to a court appearance once the citations are in collection.

If so, contact the court or the collection agency and schedule a court appearance.

If you are not entitled to an appearance, then you have two choices... Either pay the fines OR risk having this matter go to another court for collection where you might not only ruin your credit further, but you might also get your license suspended, possibly even a suspension of your vehicle registration as well as having court judgement entered against you for the original amount as well as interest, penalty, late fees, collection fees, attorney fees... all put together in the same package possibly along with another warrant for your arrest.

Let meback up for a minute... You were pulled over for "no tag light"... Right? Were you told that your license was suspended at the time? That could be citation #2 which you are claiming you never received. That could only mean, and assuming that you never had your license reinstated after that arrest, that the suspension is still in effect. So contact the DMV to see if your license is good or not.

k5rnt

First of all Thank you Banned for your REAL answers. You have provided useful information without just assuming that I am some jerk just trying to get out of paying my tickets. BTW The other ticket was for no seat belt and the judge did say that it would be removed from my record :confused: . Anyway I have already requested copy's of the tickets. I guess I should have been a little more clear in my original post. What I was trying to find out was if the officer is required to have you sign the tickets for them to be valid. I understand the basic concept of the law and procedures I just can't seem to find any info on this.

Also my license WAS suspended for the seat belt ticket at the time I was arrested so that may be one of the tickets. I wont know until the copy's get here. And yes I did get my license reinstated.

Thanks again for all the help. I AM trying to get all this worked out.

k5rnt

I just found this regarding signing citations. Maybe someone here can read it and translate.

Sec.
A543.005. A PROMISE TO APPEAR;RELEASE. To secure
release, the person arrested must make a written promise to appear
in court by signing the written notice prepared by the arresting
officer. The signature may be obtained on a duplicate form or on an
electronic device capable of creating a copy of the signed notice.
The arresting officer shall retain the paper or electronic original
of the notice and deliver the copy of the notice to the person
arrested. The officer shall then promptly release the person from
custody.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended
by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 701, Sec. 4, eff. Aug. 30, 1999.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">