• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 tickets in one month.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

altitude04

What is the name of your state? NC

Ok let me explain my situation real fast then maybe somebody can give me some advice. I've never had a speeding ticket ever, then for some stupid reason I got really irresponsible in the last month & got in some trouble but here goes:

I'm from Asheville, North Carolina and was driving to Boone, North Carolina on October 28th & got clocked doing 64mph in a 55 in Marion, North Carolina.
So my court date is December 6th(This Tuesday) or I can simply pay the $120.00 fee & go about my merry way.

Secondly, I was driving my 2nd car which I usually only drive on this back road between my house & work simply to save gas on my other car.
My inspection sticker is past due & I got caught in a liscence check on this back road.
I got a $110 ticket & have to have it paid by the same day as the above speeding ticket.
If I take this car & get it inspected(And presumably pass), will they drop this fine or will I still have to pay it?
I'm simply wondering because if they dont drop the fee then I simply wont drive that car anymore & save me the $40-50 and not get the car inspected right now.

Then to top it off, I was driving to my families lake house(in my other car) in Lake James on Thanksgiving Day & got pulled over doing 89mph in a 70.
I got a ticket obviously & have to show up to Admin. Court in Marion on January 3rd.

So my question is:
If I pay off the 1st ticket this Monday, then either pay the inspection fine or get the fine dropped.
What is going to happen when I show up to court for this big ticket?
They didnt give me a fine to pay, simply just said show up to court at 9am.
What should I expect,what should I do & is there anything I can do to prepare myself before this court date.
And when I show up to court & if I please not guilty what happens next?
Do I get another court date or is the matter settled right then and there?

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

sukharev

You are thinking in the wrong direction.

1) Show up in court on Tuesday for the first speeding ticket, try to negotiate a reduction to non-moving violation for it (either with DA/prosecutor or the judge). You are under 10 mph, that should be easier to deal with. Of course, look up NC points system, to make sure the violation you negotiate to has no points.

2) Get the car inspected tomorrow, then show the bill to the judge. With all luck, that would be your non-moving violation. It may be dismissed, too (no guarantee, you did break the law). However, I would suggest trying to do these two tickets entirely separately (if possible).

3) For the big ticket, the other two would not matter at all. Just figure out if you'd like to fight it, then read on this forum how. Also, get the books and read websites like Tipmra.

Good luck.

altitude04

I appreciate the help.

I forgot to mention however that the speeding ticket is in Marion Court .
The inspection sticker is in Asheville(My hometown) Court 45 minutes away.

Both court cases are at the same time on the same date, but 45 mins away.
What am I supposed to do?

sukharev

You can request continuance, probably for either one. In fact, I would suggest to do this for the speeding ticket, and exactly on the grounds that you have another court appearance. You can call the court on Monday, and check if it's OK to do so 1 day before the trial date (and how). If not, then pay up the inspection sticker fine (likely a no points violation), and show up for speeding ticket.

sukharev

Call the phone number on the ticket, then ask to be directed to someone handling speeding tickets. Typically, clerk of the court or similar official can help. I have not dealt with that particular court, but they are all relatively similar, and you need to ask to get to the right person. Make sure you get the name and direct phone number in case you need to call again. Sometimes a phone call is enough, but more often you need to write, so ask if you can fax the request in, or have to deliver it in person (you will have to make sure you get there before they close for the day).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">