• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 tickets (speeding, no insurance id, failure to yield to emergency vehicle) in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGI

Hi All,

I received 3 New York State - DMV - Uniform Traffic Ticket.

1) Speeding at 75MPH in 55 MPH Zone in HOV Lane.
Supporting Deposition shows that it was based on Direct Observation with speed verified by PACE for 1/2 Mile.
My Comment/Observation: At 9 AM, I was traveling on the HOV lane with pretty much the same pace as the rest of the vehicles on the interstate that were in the non-HOV lane and I doubt/don't know I was speeding. I did not ask the police officer how they know I was speeding (if I were) and how fast I was going at the time I was pulled over.

2) FLD/YLD Right-of-Way to Emergency Vehicle
Supporting Deposition shows that it was based on Direct Observation and that the police vehicle was behind me with lights and siren on for 1/2 Mile and had to pull in front of me to stop vehicle.
My Comment/Observation: As soon as I heard the Siren, I slowed down and signal to try to change to the right lanes so I can pull to the highway's right shoulder / nearest exit - but I was on the Right most lane - a HOV Lane with solid white line dividing it from the "regular" non-HOV lanes. - which cannot be passed until "HOV exit / entrance dotted lines" are marked on the ground. Since I have slowed down, I could not change to the right lane in a safe manner because of other faster traffic in the "Regular" non-HOV Lane. The police vehicle changed lane before I had a chance to and passed my vehicle and stop me in the front. After the officer stopped me he got out and asked me to move my vehicle so that mine is in front of his. I had to drive/squeeze my vehicle in the limited space between the Police car and the highway concrete divider squeeze my vehicle. There is not enough space on the left of the HOV lane to stop/slow down my vehicle to allow another car pass.

3) Operating without Insurance
Supporting Deposition shows that it was based on Direct Observation and "Upon request of documentation, no documents were produced."
My Comment/Observation: Because usually I don't drive this car, I didn't know that the glove box doesn't have an insurance ID card in it. (But I'm pretty sure it has insurance)

Please advise what to do as these are the first tickets that I have gotten in my 10+ years of driving - I don't even have any parking violation. Thank you.

-=SGI=-

moburkes

Hi All,

Supporting Deposition shows that it was based on Direct Observation with speed verified by PACE for 1/2 Mile.
My Comment/Observation: At 9 AM, I was traveling on the HOV lane with pretty much the same pace as the rest of the vehicles on the interstate that were in the non-HOV lane and I doubt/don't know I was speeding. I did not ask the police officer how they know I was speeding (if I were) and how fast I was going at the time I was pulled over.
If YOU don't know how fast you were going, regardless of the pace of the rest of the vehicles, what is your defense?:confused:
Supporting Deposition shows that it was based on Direct Observation and that the police vehicle was behind me with lights and siren on for 1/2 Mile and had to pull in front of me to stop vehicle.
My Comment/Observation: As soon as I heard the Siren, I slowed down and signal to try to change to the right lanes so I can pull to the highway's right shoulder / nearest exit - but I was on the Right most lane - a HOV Lane with solid white line dividing it from the "regular" non-HOV lanes. - which cannot be passed until "HOV exit / entrance dotted lines" are marked on the ground. Since I have slowed down, I could not change to the right lane in a safe manner because of other faster traffic in the "Regular" non-HOV Lane. The police vehicle changed lane before I had a chance to and passed my vehicle and stop me in the front. After the officer stopped me he got out and asked me to move my vehicle so that mine is in front of his. I had to drive/squeeze my vehicle in the limited space between the Police car and the highway concrete divider squeeze my vehicle. There is not enough space on the left of the HOV lane to stop/slow down my vehicle to allow another car pass.
Sorry, but I have no idea what you're saying/trying to say.
Supporting Deposition shows that it was based on Direct Observation and "Upon request of documentation, no documents were produced."
My Comment/Observation: Because usually I don't drive this car, I didn't know that the glove box doesn't have an insurance ID card in it. (But I'm pretty sure it has insurance)

Please advise what to do as these are the first tickets that I have gotten in my 10+ years of driving - I don't even have any parking violation. Thank you.

-=SGI=-
For the insurance, you will simply need to get that proof of insurance, and present it to the court. That ticket will be dismissed.

AlanShore

Hi All,

-=SGI=-
Hire a lawyer.

SGI

Thank you all for replying.

As for the 2nd ticket: FLD/YLD Right-of-Way to Emergency Vehicle

what I was saying is I couldn't pull my car to the right because 1) it was unsafe to do so - because there were many cars passing. 2) solid lines between the HOV lane and non-HOV lane 3) No space in the limited left hand shoulder (maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of car length) for me to stop / let the emergency vechicle pass safely.

Hope this is more clear.

-=SGI=-

moburkes

Thank you all for replying.

As for the 2nd ticket: FLD/YLD Right-of-Way to Emergency Vehicle

what I was saying is I couldn't pull my car to the right because 1) it was unsafe to do so - because there were many cars passing. 2) solid lines between the HOV lane and non-HOV lane 3) No space in the concrete barrier for me to stop safely.

Hope this is more clear.

-=SGI=-
You ignore the solid lines when the police officer puts on his lights. Did you even put on your blinker to show that you were trying to get over?

SGI

I didn't put on the blinker, but I did slow down and turn on my right signal blinking lamp for my intention to cut lane so that I can pull to the far right hand side shoulder / exit (or someplace safe for stopping)

-=SGI=-

Last edited:

moburkes

You said that you didn't put on the blinker, but that you did slow down and put on the blinker. You are hard to understand.

SGI

Sorry, about the confusion, I thought by "blinker" you meant the emergency hazard light where both signal lights blinks. I did put on the right turn signal for attempting to change lane.

-=SGI=-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">