• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

39:3-29

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poppy21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I was given a ticket for violating 39-3:29, Failure to exhibit documents. I had left my new insurance slip at home by accident and was unable to produce it when I was pulled over. The officer said I could just pay my fine online if I wanted to plead guilty and not have to go to court, but when i went online to do this, it said a court appearance was mandatory and I was unable to pay a fine online. I would like to plead guilty and just pay my fine, as I was in the wrong, do I have to go to court?

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I was given a ticket for violating 39-3:29, Failure to exhibit documents. I had left my new insurance slip at home by accident and was unable to produce it when I was pulled over. The officer said I could just pay my fine online if I wanted to plead guilty and not have to go to court, but when i went online to do this, it said a court appearance was mandatory and I was unable to pay a fine online. I would like to plead guilty and just pay my fine, as I was in the wrong, do I have to go to court?
I cannot be sure about New Jersey, but if it's anything like my state court will actually be your friend. To plead guilty to this can have extremely negative consequences( license suspension, mandatory license insurance etc...) If you truly had insurance at the time of the stop, go to court and provide documentation. If you did not than get insurance before the court date and provide them with that documentation. It will obviously be discernable but that usually goes a long way towards mitigating the hidden fees and penalties you know nothing about. goodluck.

OHRoadwarrior

Generally, lack of insurance tickets are mandatory appearance for two reasons. The first being the severity of the effect you could have on others if you had an accident and the second as an opportunity to prove you had satisfactory coverage at the time or an extremely, extremely compelling reason for the case to be dismissed or the charge amended.

FlyingRon

I agree with dave33. While, it's not obligatory on the part of the judge in NJ, most will waive most of the sanctions if you show that you actually were insured at the time and just failed to have your card with you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Generally, lack of insurance tickets are mandatory appearance for two reasons...
It isn't a "lack of insurance" ticket. It is for failing to produce a document - license, registration, or insurance card.

The statute says the following:

"If a person charged with a violation of this section can exhibit his driver's license, insurance identification card and registration certificate, which were valid on the day he was charged, to the judge of the municipal court before whom he is summoned to answer to the charge, such judge may dismiss the charge. However, the judge may impose court costs"

Maximum fine is $150.

Poppy has to appear in court - he may at that time present his insurance card and hope for a dismissal. Otherwise it's pretty much an open and shut case.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Poppy has to appear in court - he may at that time present his insurance card and hope for a dismissal.
For some reason when I go to edit my post all my original text gets wiped out.

According to the statute all three documents - license, registration AND insurance card - must be presented in court and must match the information on the ticket in order to have a chance at dismissal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">