• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

39:3-29 Failure to exhibit D.L. or registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chuckrain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I was just stopped for a speeding ticket in my own town, less than a mile from my house. While I was getting my documents in order I realised that I had forgotten my wallet at home and that is where my license is. I told the officer that I live close by and does he mind if my wife brings it to me and he said OK. She did and I handed it over. Shortly after he gives me the speeding ticket and another ticket for failure to exhibit documents {DL). I told him but I did because you have written my DL# on the tickets, he said oh but not when I asked you. Is that right? Also I have to appear in court, so the other question is having my DL# written on the ticket a proof that the officer had my license prior to writing the ticket? It is $180 and this economic shape it is a killer for me? Any Advice please.:(What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

The cite was valid as you were indeed unable to provide the documents upon request. If you go into court explaining your sob story, it's likely you will see some form of leniency from the court, whether it be the unlikely event of a dismissal, or the more likely event of a reduction in fees.

Chuckrain

Thanks Senior member but is there a time limit on how long you have to present your documents to the officer after he ask you?

racer72

Thanks Senior member but is there a time limit on how long you have to present your documents to the officer after he ask you?
The law states you must have your license on your person anytime you are operating a motor vehicle upon a public highway. You must present the license when asked, not later. It will take the officer only a few moments to bring up your license on his computer to get your DL number. In fact, he likely had it before he even approached your vehicle. Having the number on the ticket is not proof you had your license when stopped.

39:3-29 License, registration certificate and insurance identification card; possession; exhibit upon request; violations; fine; defense; certain fines to Omnibus Safety Enforcement Fund.

39:3-29. The driver's license, the registration certificate of a motor vehicle and an insurance identification card shall be in the possession of the driver or operator at all times when he is in charge of a motor vehicle on the highways of this State.

The driver or operator shall exhibit his driver's license and an insurance identification card, and the holder of a registration certificate or the operator or driver of a motor vehicle for which a registration certificate has been issued, whether or not the holder, driver or operator is a resident of this State, shall also exhibit the registration certificate, when requested so to do by a police officer or judge, while in the performance of the duties of his office, and shall write his name in the presence of the officer, so that the officer may thereby determine the identity of the licensee and at the same time determine the correctness of the registration certificate, as it relates to the registration number and number plates of the motor vehicle for which it was issued; and the correctness of the evidence of a policy of insurance, as it relates to the coverage of the motor vehicle for which it was issued.

Any person violating this section shall be subject to a fine of $150, except that if the person is a driver or operator of an omnibus, as defined pursuant to R.S.39:1-1, the amount of the fine shall be $250. Of the amount of any such fine collected pursuant to this paragraph, $25 shall be deposited in the Uninsured Motorist Prevention Fund established by section 2 of P.L.1983, c.141 (C.39:6B-3).

If a person charged with a violation of this section can exhibit his driver's license, insurance identification card and registration certificate, which were valid on the day he was charged, to the judge of the municipal court before whom he is summoned to answer to the charge, such judge may dismiss the charge. However, the judge may impose court costs.

In addition to and independent of any fine or other penalty provided for under law, the court shall impose a fine of $150 on any driver or operator of an omnibus, convicted of a violation of this section, who does not have a certificate of public convenience and necessity as required pursuant to R.S.48:4-3. The State Treasurer shall annually deposit the monies collected from the fines imposed pursuant to this paragraph to the "Omnibus Safety Enforcement Fund" established pursuant to section 4 of P.L.2007, c.40 (C.39:3-79.23). The fine described herein shall not be deemed a fine, penalty, or forfeiture pursuant to R.S.39:5-41.

Amended 1972, c.200, s.1; 1981, c.242, s.1; 1983, c.403, s.10; 2003, c.89, s.78; 2007, c.40, s.2.
No time limit stated other than "at all times" and "when requested". You didn't have it when requested.

"If a person charged with a violation of this section can exhibit his driver's license, insurance identification card and registration certificate, which were valid on the day he was charged, to the judge of the municipal court before whom he is summoned to answer to the charge, such judge may dismiss the charge. However, the judge may impose court costs."

Last edited:

davidjurban

3-29 failure to exhibit D.L. or Reg *

I too just recieved a ticket in Camden, NJ for not having my current Insurance card in the vehichle. The front of the ticket was checked off for 3-39, INS. I reviewed the back pof the ticket to find the penalty and it said "3-39 Failure to exhibit D.L. or Reg * $180.00". At the bottom was "* Excludes Failure to Exhibit Insurance ID Card". Does that mean its not an offense or is there another penalty that is not llisted? Thanks in advance.

The law states you must have your license on your person anytime you are operating a motor vehicle upon a public highway. You must present the license when asked, not later. It will take the officer only a few moments to bring up your license on his computer to get your DL number. In fact, he likely had it before he even approached your vehicle. Having the number on the ticket is not proof you had your license when stopped.
Who actually keeps their license "on your person"? Not me. Its in my wallet which in in the glove box.

CSO286

I too just recieved a ticket in Camden, NJ for not having my current Insurance card in the vehichle. The front of the ticket was checked off for 3-39, INS. I reviewed the back pof the ticket to find the penalty and it said "3-39 Failure to exhibit D.L. or Reg * $180.00". At the bottom was "* Excludes Failure to Exhibit Insurance ID Card". Does that mean its not an offense or is there another penalty that is not llisted? Thanks in advance.
You should start your own thread. This one is four years old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">