• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3rd time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

humbled

What is the name of your state?Illinois

I was just pulled over for my 3rd speeding violation in less than 12 months. This is after years of a clean driving record. I have had court supervision on the other violations. This ticket is for 44 in a 30 zone (in an industrial ark) and says I do not need to appear in court. According to the instructions for payment by mail I am not eligible for supervision again. I am concerned that my license could be suspended if I plead guilty. Is that a possibility? Thanks. :eek:

humbled

the ticket is marked as having used handheld radar to get the speed. On what grounds would I be able to beat the ticket in court?

sukharev

There are a bunch of good defense strategies, keep searching the web for details, but here is a brief list:

1) request discovery of all relevant records (tipmra website has a good list), government must properly respond
2) radar forks calibration and serial number must match
3) was proper radar test done before and after shift?
4) did officer have FCC license and proper training?
5) was the place checked for interference?
6) was the traffic heavy?
7) was there a chance for sweep and ghost reading errors?
8) does the officer have independent recollection of events (especially if the ticket has an error on it)
9) Is the speed limit properly posted and legal?

And so on...

Also, make 2 copies of relevant caselaw (free parts of tipmra website have references), and give them to judge and DA at the beginning of the trial. You will likely need to cite caselaw once you use above defenses. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">