• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4-124 Failure to Turn??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olimits7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hi,

I just got a ticket for failure to turn; I was wondering if I have should appear in court to fight this ticket? Do I have a chance to beat this ticket?

I'll explain the exact situation below:

I was in a right-only turn lane, but then I needed to go straight; so when the light turned green I put on my left turn signal and merged with the left lane. The office then pulled me over and gave me a failure to turn ticket...

Thank you,

olimits7

OP85063

What would your defense?

You was in a MUST turning lane, means you MUST turn. You decided you need to go straight is no excuse for getting out of your lane here you MUST turn.

This is why you should not fight it, legally when you put yourself in a turn only lane, and are past the point where the white line is solid to your left if your in a right turn lane for instance you cannot make a lane change at that point. When you are within a solid lane line you must maintain your lane.

Hey There

A start

The fine is $85.00. Right?

Google: 4-124 N.J. traffic violation.
Click on Point FAQ's -Explains N.J. point system.

Click on Manual of Traffic Signs
Where I live the sign for right hand turn lane only
was not placed soon enough for a driver to avoid getting caught in the right hand turn only lane
when most of the drivers intended going straight.
When I came to this intersection I noticed more than one driver would end up in the right hand turn lane only
and drivers would end up making space for them to change lanes
so they could to go straight .
This problem was corrected when another sign was added
so that a driver could change lanes BEFORE entering the right hand turn only lane.
Was there ample time to change lanes to go straight ?

The description of 4-124 as stated on your ticket ?
Improper turn from approved turning course?

It is important to read the description of what 4-124 means in the official DMV manual which should be available at DMV or a local library to see if 4-124 applies to changing from a right turn only lane to a lane going straight.You may be able to find it online.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">