• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

40 Over Speed Limit Ticket in Illinois - HELP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikolaki

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Today I got a ticket for doing 100 in a 55 zone. The officer gave me a ticket which does not have a fine on it but I need to go to mandatory court. He did not book me for reckless driving because he said I seemed like a nice guy.

I did some research and noticed that in Illinois speeding more than 40 miles over the speed limit has penalties of jail time up to 1 year and a fine of up to $2,500.

Now, I have a very clean record, and haven't gotten a ticket in over 13 years.

Anybody knows of similar situations? I'm very scared of the jail term.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Please help!!!

Niko

MeD_VA

Hey man, I'm in Virginia and I got 100 / 55. My case is May 17th. I'll let you know how it goes... I'm talking to a lawyer right now, I suggest you do the same.

nikolaki

I am talking to lawyers too. My court date is April 18th. I spoke to a friend from the State Attorney's office and she said that I will have a big fine but no jail due to clean record. When I find out from my attorneys I'll post information.

nikolaki

I'm still looking for lawyers in the county I got the ticket. It is pretty far from where I live so I'm looking for someone local. Does anybody else have any idea what I should expect? Any similar situations with Class A misdemeanor? How did it work out for you?

nikolaki

My trial was on April 18th. Late in March I found and hired a good attorney that has his office across the street from the courthouse in Freeport, IL. He was very nice and gave me good advice. He charged me $500 and asked me to obtain a copy of my driving record.

I went to the local DMV and got my court version of my driving record which goes back 8 years and was perfectly clean.

I sent my attorney everything, icnlduding the original ticket and bond info.

My attorney contacted the local State Attorney's office and requested a reduction of the offence (Ammendment). The State's attorney's office agreed because they saw that I had a clean record.

I went to court on the 18th at 9:00am. I was there at least 30 minutes earlier, dressed in my best suit, met with my attorney and he explained to me the process. By 9:30am I was done. The judge accepted the reduction of the offence to 94 mph instead of 100mph so this way it became a petty offence instead of a Class A Misdeleanor (39 mph over the speed limit instead of 45mph over the limit).

My fine was $200 but was already covered by the $200 bond that I had submitted in order to keep my driver's license.

Well, it will go on my record but that's the least of my worries. At least. I'm done with this, I'm safe, I learned my lesson and hope not to get another ticket for the next 20 years.

So, I guess my advise to all, get an attorney soon, have them explain to you the process and ask them to do the best they can for you. It is worth the money.

Thanks and I hope this helps.

Niko

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">