• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

46.2-830 fail to obey highway sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rayray0718

What is the name of your state? MD.
I live in MD, and the ticket was issued in VA.

I drove beside an officer about 3 - 4 miles distance around his speed (60 - 65 mph) before he pulled me over. I got a ticket from him indicating "46.2-830 fail to obey highway sign" without the indication of "our" speed (63 mph).

Because I've got, totally 3 tickets left, one speeding ticket (VA.) in 2006, another speeding ticket (MD.) in 2005 and one seat belt ticket in 2007. I can not get another ticket, or I will be refused by my insurence company.

Is there any way I can dismiss this ticket in the court? Or, does the "driving safty course" help?

FlyingRon

Presumably you were speeding. Sounds like you might have gotten a slight break there.

It's at the discretion of the judge to allow you to complete a Driver Improvement Program course to defer the charge. The fact that you have a recent Virginia violation may make him disinclined to help you.

If they do agree to the deferral, you're golden. If you're over 20, you can even take the class over the internet. If you complete it before your deferred court date, the charge will be dismissed.

Getting an outright dismissal otherwise is unlikely (depends on what court you're going to appear). If you're going to try for the deferral you might as well go on the small chance that lightning strikes the arresting officer and he doesn't make it (traffic cases however are scheduled based on the police jurisdiction so this is unlikely, but I've seen it happen in Fairfax),.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">