• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

48 hrs and counting down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mojo41

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca.
For all my advisors in this forum, my heartfelt thanks, without you, I would have given up without a fight!
I have two days left till court convenes, and the questions keep coming;
Why would the CHP be sending the discovery, not the prosecution?
Would the CHP deliberately send a radar cert that was not the current one?
If the worst happens, and I'm found guilty, how do I go about filing an appeal?
If the judge lightens the penalty, {after a guilty verdict}, do I agree, or state then that I'm appealing?
Appreciate your feedback, more then ever.
mojo41 Previously 101 and counting

JIMinCA

The legal obligation is for the prosecution to send it. However, he may delegate this to the CHP, but he still retains responsibility.

Whether they did it deliberately or not is irrelevant. If they try to enter something into evidence in court that is different than what you have recieved in discovery, you should immediately object and demand that it not be allowed into evidence. By the way... what did the radar calibration say with respect to error at 100mph??

You have a period of time (like 10 or 20 days) to file a notice of appeal. Then there is a whole process. Let's deal with that after you get your verdict.

If the judge lightens the penalty, {after a guilty verdict}, do I agree, or state then that I'm appealing?
I don't think the judge will or can lighten the penalty significantly. Even if he does... there is nothing for you to agree or disagree with! You simply go home and file your notice of appeal.

I_Got_Banned

Because the CHP has the documents, not the prosecution. Also because the prosecution does not wanna spend any time on a traffic case. And because the CHP officer will be the one present in court, as well as the one bringing such evidence with him to the court while the prosecution hasn’t a clue about what the officer has or doesn’t have.
Interestingly enough, some people might argue that sending a discovery request to the law enforcement agency in addition to the prosecuting attorney is senseless or out of the ordinary.
Is there a more current one? And how would you know that? If you do in fact know there is a more current one or if the one they provided you is outdated, I would capitalize on that!!!
The first step in filing an appeal is simple. You complete a simple form stating the violation and charge you‘re appealing, file it in court within 30 days of your trial as well as serve it upon the D.A. The rest of the appeals process is where it gets tedious. My only advice when it comes to trials and appeals is this: if you feel that an error has been committed, don’t just sit there thinking “I’ll just appeal”. To set the perfect groundwork for a successful appeal, you must make an objection on the record and make sure the judge hears it and addresses it.
You can agree and still appeal… In fact, I wouldn’t even mention I’m appealing at all regardless of whether I think I am appealing or not. If you wanna give the judge heads up that you’re convinced that you’re “not guilty as charged” and that you’re prepared to appeal if needed, then do that before the trial starts not after it ends.

How? You may ask?
A tape recorded!
Make sure that you request the judge permission to use it though before the trial starts.

With that being said, and at the risk of sounding like a pessimist, I highly doubt the judge will lighten the penalty. When it comes to the base fine, it is set in the bail schedule… The penalty assessment is statutory and (s)he cannot reduce or change that… As for the points, (s)he has no say so there as points are set by the DMV. That leave the 30 day suspension, and although 22348 states: “The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days”, it has been my experience that judges are adamant about enforcing that.

Lastly, the judge cannot change what you are charged with. Only the prosecution can do that!

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

mojo41

This cert they sent is confusing to say the least. All the typed in figures, {the ones to match} are identical to the hand written ones. There is no variation at all, no margin of error. The high speed display is 200, and of course the result is also 200. It's as if they took a blank form and filled it in with exactly the same "perfect" numbers.
The stamp or seal is simply a round circle with two stars,{they do not match the chp's,} saying; certified copy of original. The date in the middle is Apr 16, 2007. I can't get this cert to you, I must be doing something wrong, don't know where to click for adding attachment. All I can see is the rules after the message box saying I may not post an attachment. Got the directs from faq, but don't see the "button" for attachment.
mojo41

I_Got_Banned

HOUR 42...

I can't get this cert to you, I must be doing something wrong, don't know where to click for adding attachment. All I can see is the rules after the message box saying I may not post an attachment. Got the directs from faq, but don't see the "button" for attachment.
mojo41
The stamp probably belongs to the place where it was tested & certified.

I can't get this cert to you, I must be doing something wrong, don't know where to click for adding attachment. All I can see is the rules after the message box saying I may not post an attachment. Got the directs from faq, but don't see the "button" for attachment.
mojo41
Yeah, you can't post images on this site. You can, however, post it on another site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and provide a link.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">