• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

49/25 reckless driving in Springfield, Fairfax County, VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emleamy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

I received a reckless driving ticket this morning in Springfield for going 49 in a residential neighborhood with a posted 25 mph limit. The motorcycle cop was on the side of the road near a notoriously long traffic light. I didn't notice him, the light went green, and I accelerated to try to make the light (before hand I was probably going 35). He stepped out and waved me over. He asked me how old I am (I'm 26 but I suppose I look young), then asked why I was going fast. I meekly told him I was trying to make the green light --- which I realize now I probably shouldn't have said.

Regardless, I have read a bunch of posts here about reckless driving in Virginia and am seeking advice on whether I should get a lawyer, how much they typically cost, and whether anyone has any recommendations. I am also wondering if it's likely for me to get a reduction to avoid the criminal conviction. I had an otherwise clean driving record until a few months ago, when I got pulled over for speeding on I-66.

Any advice is much appreciated.

JETX

emleamy said:
whether I should get a lawyer
Depends on LOTS of factors. Some are:
1) Do you plan on pleading guilty, or do you have a defense against the charge?
2) How much money do you have to 'throw' at this?

how much they typically cost
The cost of legal services ranges from dirt cheap.... to incredibly high. No one can guess what might apply in your case.

I am also wondering if it's likely for me to get a reduction to avoid the criminal conviction.
Your post provides nothing to justify a reduction.

I had an otherwise clean driving record until a few months ago, when I got pulled over for speeding on I-66.
Then you didn't learn, did you??

emleamy

I would obviously prefer to NOT have a misdemeanor on my record for driving over the speed limit but not in what I feel is a reckless manner. The cop was stationed there specifically to pluck off people trying to make that stop light, but that's besides the point.

I don't have a ton of money to throw around, but if this is going to make my insurance premiums go up significantly for the next several years, then it may be cost effective to get a lawyer.

Most of the posts I've seen for reckless driving involve highway speeds. I am wondering if there is any advice related to my situation in a residential 25 mph area?

lwpat

Fairfax County is one of the toughest courts in Virginia. For a reckless driving ticket in other courts you might be OK handling it yourself but not in Fairfax and not in a residential area. Check the find an attorney link on this site. If no one is listed send me an email and I can provide some more references.

Google "Virginia drivers license point system" to see the points for the offenses and suspension information. You need to know the points on the other ticket and see where you stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">