• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

52/35 in Fairfax County coming off of I-66 ramp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BBellxx

What is the name of your state?- Virginia (Fairfax County)

Hi all, I just received a speeding ticket on Chain Bridge Rd coming off of the I-66 ramp. 52 in the 35 zone. I didn't see the sign, however the fact that I was speeding isn't what I'm concerned about, but is what it can do to my insurance. I live in NC I wonder if VA's DMV can assess points or anything.

lwpat

Virginia Ticket North Carolina License

If you plead guilty and pay the fine North Carolina will suspend your license since it is 15+ over the limit. Show for court and they will usually reduce it which means NC will not post it to your record.

I think the automatic suspension in NC is if your speed is greater than 55 and 15 over the limit.

§ 20‑16.1. Mandatory suspension of driver's license upon conviction of excessive speeding; limited driving permits for first offenders.

(a) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Article, the Division shall suspend for a period of 30 days the license of any driver without preliminary hearing on receiving a record of the driver's conviction of either
(i) exceeding by more than 15 miles per hour the speed limit, either within or outside the corporate limits of a municipality, if the person was also driving at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour at the time of the offense, or
(ii) driving at a speed in excess of 80 miles per hour at the time of the offense.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-16.1.html

You still should try to get the speed reduced to less than 15 over since this may not reflect back to NC (check with the DMV to see if they record out of state convictions under 15 over).

lwpat

You're right Robbie. That's what I get for not checking my notes. Thanks for the correction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">