• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

59/35 in VA, Dulles Airport Access Road, Loudon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dullesspeeding

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia, Loudon

I was the last car in line of 4-5 cars driving to the Dulles airport in Virginia in the dedicated lanes. The posted speed limit was 55, but about 2 miles from the airport it drops to 35 (single drop from 55 to 35). The police car was a few yards into the 35 zone. He came behind me, stopped me and told me he registered me with 59, asked me if I knew what the speed limit was and I said 55. He said 35.

From the summons: 59/35 Article 46.2 - 878
I can prepay the fine online, $181.

I have my VA license since 2004, no tickets, no warnings, (not even parking), +4 points. I am 30 years old.

My questions are:
1. Should I go to court? If so, what should I expect?

If I don't go to court
2. How many points will this put on my record and for how long?
3. Will my insurance premium increase? If so, by how much (percent or abs value)?

To be honest, I think the police was there just to write tickets and this had nothing to do with the safety of traffic. In these hard economic times for the city, they are simply trying to generate more revenue by setting up these speed traps.

JETX

1. Should I go to court?
Depends... what defense do you have??

If so, what should I expect?
Sit in courtroom. Name is called. Step forward and offer plea. If guily, pay fine, leave. If not guilty, go sit down again. Wait several hours or court will reset for another day. Eventually, present your defense. Pay fine, leave.

If I don't go to court
2. How many points will this put on my record and for how long?
We don't do homework. Ask court or your DMV.

3. Will my insurance premium increase? If so, by how much (percent or abs value)?
We don't do homework. Ask your agent.

To be honest, I think the police was there just to write tickets and this had nothing to do with the safety of traffic. In these hard economic times for the city, they are simply trying to generate more revenue by setting up these speed traps.
Probably right. However, is not an excuse for speeding. Also, hope that is NOT your defense.

Jim_bo

Shame on them for doing the job they were hired to do by citing drivers who are violating the rules of the road!!! :rolleyes:
Your sarcastic comments are just BS!! Technically the OP was probably speeding, but traffic enforcement is supposed to be about safety... not revenue generation. If this cop is popping people just a few feet beyond a changing speed limit sign, the intent is crystal clear... and it ain't safety!!!

racer72

Your sarcastic comments are just BS!! Technically the OP was probably speeding, but traffic enforcement is supposed to be about safety... not revenue generation. If this cop is popping people just a few feet beyond a changing speed limit sign, the intent is crystal clear... and it ain't safety!!!
Prove it. Bet you can't.

I_Got_Banned

Your sarcastic comments are just BS!!
No offense taken, Jim-bo!

but traffic enforcement is supposed to be about safety...
The drop in speed limit from 55mph to 35mph is more likely justified by the fact that it is unsafe to continue the 55 speed limit zone any further. If the OP can prove otherwise, then he's probably got a good defense.

Oh, wait, he was allegedly driving in excess of the 55mph speed limit, so even if the speed limit did not change, technically, he was STILL in violation of that speed limit which was more likely set with "safety" as the primary intent.

If this cop is popping people just a few feet beyond a changing speed limit sign
The speed limit changes AT THE SIGN, not a few feet past it (but you know that already)... So if the cop decided to cite the OP for violating the speed limit that is posted, then he was justified in enforcing a speed limit that was set with the intent of everyone's safety (see previous comment). So then the citation is justified.

... the intent is crystal clear...
Exactly... Catching violators... By doing so, the cop is simply doing his job.... Which bring us back to what I stated in my previous post.

Unless you can provide some sort of synopsis that suggest that revenue generation is in any way a part of that process, then your point is valid, otherwise, right back at you with the BS comment.

By the way, there is a way for the OP, you and everyone else to avoid contributing to that revenue by driving within the limits of the law.

FlyingRon

You're extremely lucky, they charged you with a much lessor offense than you are guilty of. 20+ miles over the speed limit is reckless driving and you could have been charged with a misdemeanor.

If you're record is otherwise clean, the Loudoun traffic court will let you get a deferral in exchange for taking the VADIP course (one day traffic school and if you're over 20 you can do it online). After they get the report that you completed the course, they'll dismiss your charge. No fine, no points, but the course will cost.

Don't count on the MWAA police not showing up. Their scheduled court date is almost a party like atmosphere.

Last edited:

dullesspeeding

FlyingRon, here is what I found on this forum:
"A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit."

So he couldn't have charged me with a misdemeanor (not for 59/35 anyway)

I will take your advice and ask the judge to take the course and drop the charges after I complete it. Thank you

dullesspeeding

Went to court. Officer said the radar was miscalibrated and cannot prosecute. Case was dismissed. Yupiee!!

BTW, 59/35 in VA is 6 points

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">