• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

65 in a 45 on I393 in NH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geoff5093

First a little background, I dont know if anyone else here knows 393 in Concord NH, but the speed limit is 55mph and most people go about 65-70, but when theres about 1-1.5 miles left of the highway, the speed limit drops to 45mph, although the road is exactly the same so it's not like it narrows or becomes one lane.

Now I entered 393 from an on-ramp near the end of the highway, where the speed limit is 45mph. Now there are no signs stating the speed limit, so for someone thats never been there before, theres no way for them to know the speed limit was 45 and not 55/65.

Well once I started to enter the highway, I sped up to get to my normal freeway speed (65), but there was no one in front of me or behind me for quite some distance, so it wasnt obvious that I was going 65. Now there was a state trooper on the side of the road who came out and pointed at me and told me to pull off to the side, which I did.

He gave me a $100 ticket for going 65 in a 45, which I would gladly pay, however I can't lose my license for 20 days and risk paying more for insurance, so I pleaded not guilty and I have a court date on December 10th.

Now my real question is this, when I go to court should I try and convince them to take a safe driving course instead of having this ticket on my record? This is my first offense by the way. Or should I try to fight it saying that there were no posted speed limit signs?

Another thing I noticed was that the office never wrote his name or badge number on the ticket, so I dont know if thats a good thing or if he just filled it in himself later on.

The Occultist

Most states have "implied" speed limits, with legal codes that state that if there is no posted limit, then, depending on what kind of road you're on, there is a limit you must abide by. You can find these in the most basic of drivers manuals. As such, you will likely not be getting off with that defense.

geoff5093

I thought everyone would like to know the outcome here.

I had my court date on December 10th, where I pleaded guilty and paid the $100 fine (no suspension at this time). I then got a letter for my hearing with the department of safety which was this morning, now because this was my first offense and a suspension would interfere with my education and work, he chose not to suspend it and I am on a year probation for good behavior.

So if your under 20 and had a moving violation, chances are if you tell the prosecutor your case and if you need your license for school and/or work, then chances are you won't lose it if this is your first offense. Obviously this is assuming the violation was within reason, going 30MPH+ or something like a DWI, I'm sure you wont get let off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">