• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$728.00 speeding ticket in GA! Really?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goeddesgrl

Georgia city of Atlanta. I got a speeding ticket for doing 84 in a 55 on the ATL highway. When I called to get the amount of the ticket I was floored to find out that it was $728.00! I am unemployed and there is absolutly no way I can pay this! Any advise would be helpful! Should I show up on the court date and keep asking for the case to be continued, or ask for a reduction? What should I do...:( Can they put me in jail if I can not pay?

Isis1

Georgia city of Atlanta. I got a speeding ticket for doing 84 in a 55 on the ATL highway. When I called to get the amount of the ticket I was floored to find out that it was $728.00! I am unemployed and there is absolutly no way I can pay this! Any advise would be helpful! Should I show up on the court date and keep asking for the case to be continued, or ask for a reduction? What should I do...:( Can they put me in jail if I can not pay?
how long ago did you get this ticket?

Georgia city of Atlanta. I got a speeding ticket for doing 84 in a 55 on the ATL highway. When I called to get the amount of the ticket I was floored to find out that it was $728.00!
Can they put me in jail if I can not pay?
WOW over seven hundred bucks! Murders pay less in fines !

No they won't put you in jail but you'll lose your DL maybe. + additional penalties etc are possible.

Go to court, maybe the fine can be reduced ... unless you want to go the full monty.

Isis1

I got it about a month ago. My first court date is June 23rd. why?
The reason I ask is to clarify whether late fees were applied. But that doesn't seem to be the case yet. So next question. Was this ticket in a school zone or a construction zone?

Better yet, what was your exact citation number/s?

goeddesgrl

The reason I ask is to clarify whether late fees were applied. But that doesn't seem to be the case yet. So next question. Was this ticket in a school zone or a construction zone?

Better yet, what was your exact citation number/s?
It wasn't in a school zone or construstion area! It was on the hwy with no special zones.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
New State Law Gets Tough on Illegal Speeders
NEW ‘SUPER SPEEDER LAW’ STARTS NEW YEAR WITH NEW FINES

(JANUARY 1, 2010) Georgia drivers should mark that date on their calendars and put a sticky note next to their keys.. January 1st, 2010. It’s the day the new state ‘Super Speeder Law’ goes into effect in Georgia. And any high-risk drivers who make a habit of ignoring posted speed limits will be the first to feel the pinch of higher state fines (called fees) on their wallets.

How much higher? The new law titled HB160 tacks-on another two-hundred-dollar state-fee for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads.. OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia. Those new state fees will be in addition to any local fines already in effect in the jurisdiction where the speeding offense occurs.

Who is a SuperSpeeder? Under the provisions of this new Georgia law, any driver convicted of violating HB160 will now be classified by the state as a ‘Super Speeder’ and subject to an additional fee. The new ‘SuperSpeeder Law’ is designed to get tough on high-risk drivers who’ve been endangering other motorists and ignoring warnings to slow down. On average, there’s a speed-related death-a-day in Georgia!

The ‘SuperSpeeder Law’ established the new state fees to help police put the brakes on Georgia’s dangerous and illegal speeders. Failure to pay the ‘SuperSpeeder’ fee results in an additional $50.00 fee and the suspension of the offender’s driving privileges and license. ‘SuperSpeeder’ is a highway safety law designed to save lives on our roads by changing the way illegal speeders drive in Georgia... by slowing them down within legal limits.
Georgia Super Speeder Law

OHRoadwarrior

I would attempt to discuss with prosecutor. Explain your unemployed status and plead for leniency. The goal of laws are to punish offenders to discourage behaviors. If you are truly in the situation you describe, punishment will destroy your ability to obtain work again effectively. If you are truly remorseful, I would request a reduced charge and community service in lieu of paying a fine. Take proof of your situation.

(I have seen web posting of this method being successful in the Atlanta area)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yikes!!!! That's.....great. I think...:confused:
It'd be better if they extended the GA law to their drivers when they're in other states. I don't know how many times I've been passed by GA drivers on I-20, me running 75-80mph, them running way faster than light. :eek: :cool:

goeddesgrl

I understand the super speeder law! I was living in GA when they passed the law! However; the cop dropped my speed from 92 in a 55 to 84 in a 55 to keep me from having to pay the additional "super speeder" ticket. The super speeder ticket is a completly seperate ticket you recv from the state of GA. The actual ticket was 500.00 then they add a 'surcharge" (ie: tax) to EVERY ticket in the state of GA. "go figure" but, hey, they have the nicest court house I have ever been in...thank you tax payers! amen and good night all who speed in our state! lol

Last edited:

cyjeff

Look at the bright side...

They also are enacting law to ticket those slow pokes in the fast lane.

Georgia tickets are brutal. My eldest turned left onto a four lane road (two in each direction) and swung into the far instead of the near lane.

Ticket was billed at over $200 and 3 points. 3 points are a bunch as an under 18... you only get 4.

She went to court and threw herself upon the court's mercy.

The judge was very understanding... but you can't count on that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">