• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

75 in a 65 deserves a $203 ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tor932

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? CT

I got pulled over ON MY BIRTHDAY :( i am 17 years old and have had my license for 9 months i have never gotten pulled over before and the cops seem to be going CRAZY lately. I was going 75 on the highway keeping up with the flow of trafic. I was rushing because i was late for musical practice. The posted speed limit is 65. i thought i remembered learning in drivers ed that the price of a ticket is determined by a certain dollar amount for every mile and hr faster you were going. How does 10 mph over the the speed limit become a $203 dollar ticket. Does anyone know the law im thinking of or if im making this up... THANKS for your help

LawGirl10

I don't know how CT does it, but there is generally a set fine for a specific range (ex: 1-10 mph over is a specific dollar amount, 11-20? mph over would be another amount). You also need to remember that aside from even the specific fine for the mph over the limit you were doing, there are basic court costs tacked on that have nothing to do with the speed you were cited for. It is usually a set amount for court costs and then the fine for the amount of mph over is added.

Last edited:

JETX

tor932 said:
I got pulled over ON MY BIRTHDAY
Not relevant.

i am 17 years old and have had my license for 9 months i have never gotten pulled over before and the cops seem to be going CRAZY lately.
Not relevant.

I was going 75 on the highway keeping up with the flow of trafic. I was rushing because i was late for musical practice. The posted speed limit is 65.]
Okay, so the bottom line is... you got ticketed for 10 mph over the limit.

How does 10 mph over the the speed limit become a $203 dollar ticket.
Where did you get that amount from??

Does anyone know the law im thinking of or if im making this up.
In reviewing your state traffic laws....
Sec. 14-219. Speeding.
(a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle (1) upon any highway, road or any parking area for ten cars or more, at such a rate of speed as to endanger the life of any occupant of such motor vehicle, but not the life of any other person than such an occupant; or (2) at a rate of speed greater than fifty-five miles per hour upon any highway other than a highway specified in subsection (b) of section 14-218a for which a speed limit has been established in accordance with the provisions of said subsection; or (3) at a rate of speed greater than sixty-five miles per hour upon any highway specified in subsection (b) of section 14-218a for which a speed limit has been established in accordance with the provisions of said subsection.

(b) Any person who operates a motor vehicle (1) on a multiple lane, limited access highway other than a highway specified in subsection (b) of section 14-218a for which a speed limit has been established in accordance with the provisions of said subsection at a rate of speed greater than fifty-five miles per hour but not greater than seventy miles per hour or (2) on a multiple lane, limited access highway specified in subsection (b) of section 14-218a for which a speed limit has been established in accordance with the provisions of said subsection at a rate of speed greater than sixty-five miles per hour but not greater than seventy miles per hour or (3) on any other highway at a rate of speed greater than fifty-five miles per hour but not greater than sixty miles per hour, shall commit an infraction, provided any such person operating a truck, as defined in section 14-260n, shall have committed a violation and shall be fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than one hundred fifty dollars.

(c) Any person who violates any provision of subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of this section or who operates a motor vehicle (1) on a multiple lane, limited access highway at a rate of speed greater than seventy miles per hour but not greater than eighty-five miles per hour or (2) on any other highway at a rate of speed greater than sixty miles per hour but not greater than eighty-five miles per hour shall be fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than one hundred fifty dollars, provided any such person operating a truck, as defined in section 14-260n, shall be fined not less than one hundred fifty dollars nor more than two hundred dollars.

wirry1422

Unfortunatly for you, Connecticut has some of the most expensive speeding tickets in the nation. I remember reading in the NYTimes a while back that CT state troopers were reluctant to give speeding tickets because they felt guilty about burdening average people with such large fines. The article stated that a ticket for 16-20 mph over was like $350! Maybe you should move to Illinois. Here the same speeding ticket for 10 mph over on the expressway is $75.

fedcop110

In VA it is $49.00 (court cost) plus $5.00 or $7.00 (depending on the area that you were speeding in.) If you were on a highway you would be looking at a fine of $99.00.

What statute were you charged under?

Did the officer write the $208 on the citation?

fedcop110

In VA it is $49.00 (court cost) plus $5.00 or $7.00 per mile per hour over the speed limit (depending on the area that you were speeding in.) If you were on a highway you would be looking at a fine of $99.00.

What statute were you charged under?

Did the officer write the $208 on the citation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">