• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

75+ on 65 on South 280

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vincentsky

I'm in California San Francisco Bay Area.

Hi there
I just got a ticket this morning. The cop gave me a75+ ticket on a 65 speed limit. He seemed ok very relaxed.

The car on the passing lane was very slow so I cut to the 3rd lane and cut back to the passing lane. I slowed down right after I went back on the passing lane but the cop was already coming up to me from about 350 meter behind me. Oh well......I already know what happened so I pulled over. The cop said that I was going 85 I said no way. I told him I was going only 75. And then I joked with him a little bit and told him I was heading to work. I just got a part time job after been laid off for a year. I woke up a little late. Oh well....still a ticket but he said he reduced it to 75+ so that I can go to traffic school. I have not got ticketed for 4 years already so I'm usually safe.

He sent me to San Mateo court. What is the usual deal there? Of course, I want to take that chance of him not showing up. What if he show up, can I ask for a discount for the ticket? What is the cheapest traffic school around the bay? Any advice would be very appreciated. :)

I_Got_Banned

He seemed ok very relaxed.
Question is, how did you feel?

He sent me to San Mateo court. What is the usual deal there?
Pretty much the same deal as in every California court. If you are found guilty, you would have to pay the fine!

Of course, I want to take that chance of him not showing up.
Of course you would. Although, you should know that officers are required to show up in court as part of their job duty... So him not showing up is less likely to happen as often as it used to a few years back.

What if he show up, can I ask for a discount for the ticket?
You can ask for a "discount" but judges don't appreciate a defendant who will attempt to waste the court's time and resources when in reality they have no defense at all.

What is the cheapest traffic school around the bay?
You should be able to take/complete the course online (assuming that the San Mateo court will accept such a certificate of completion). Due to a lower overhead, online schools charge less than one who hold classes in a classroom setting.

Any advice would be very appreciated. :)
Considering that you have not stated anything in the way of a viable defense, you might be better off by pleading guilty at your arraignment and requesting traffic school at that time. If instead, you choose to go to trial in hopes that the officer will not show up and since a judge is not obligated to allow you to attend after a trial, you maybe risking your opportunity of having the citation dismissed after completing the traffic school course.

Good luck!

vincentsky

75+ on 65 South 280 CA

Hi bra
I have forgot the whole deal. I have not been to any traffic court for a long time. Probably 4 years ago.

What should I say when I go to the court? Based on what you said, I should plead guilty and ask for discount of the fees? Should I say more professionally "no contest" and ask for that discount?

The traffic school is not a problem becoz its generally cheap like $13 to $15. Some are even cheaper but not sure if they accept it.

I think all my questions are now what to say when I go to the court? Thank you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">