• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

78 in a 55

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverblade760

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hey guys

I was driving in US-29 where the speed limit is 55 mph and i was doing 78 mph. It was about 9:30 at night and this happened around the days of the thanksgivng day sales. The officer pulled me over for speeding and not using my indicator while changing lanes. The officer was pretty nice, he told me to take it to court and the judge will most likely take off my points because this is my first offense. But i don't want to pay the fine either. I've been reading up on a "Motion for Discovery" and it sounds like the best way to go. But im unclear on what to do if they don't dismiss my case on the motion and they grant me discovery. I hope to plead not guilty but i don't know exactly what to do. It's my first time going to court. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hey guys

I was driving in US-29 where the speed limit is 55 mph and i was doing 78 mph. It was about 9:30 at night and this happened around the days of the thanksgivng day sales. The officer pulled me over for speeding and not using my indicator while changing lanes. The officer was pretty nice, he told me to take it to court and the judge will most likely take off my points because this is my first offense. But i don't want to pay the fine either. I've been reading up on a "Motion for Discovery" and it sounds like the best way to go. But im unclear on what to do if they don't dismiss my case on the motion and they grant me discovery. I hope to plead not guilty but i don't know exactly what to do. It's my first time going to court. Any help would be greatly appreciated
What do you hope to "discover"?

cepe10

Hey guys

You can most likely get "probation before judgement" since you have a clean record. You can just go in say "guilty" normally and answer you have a clean record. This is best at this point. MD trooper's normally can not produce the Kustom Signals Pro Laser calibrations they need but the kangeroo kourt district court judges normally let them get away with it - thus you have to appeal to cicuit and it is a hassle you do not want to go though. The fine is normally not significant compared to having points and insurance hike hit...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can most likely get "probation before judgement" since you have a clean record. You can just go in say "guilty" normally and answer you have a clean record. This is best at this point. MD trooper's normally can not produce the Kustom Signals Pro Laser calibrations they need but the kangeroo kourt district court judges normally let them get away with it - thus you have to appeal to cicuit and it is a hassle you do not want to go though. The fine is normally not significant compared to having points and insurance hike hit...

I did NOT advise this poster to just pay the ticket. What I DO advise is for the OP not to pin their hopes on a technicality.

Now, maybe YOU can tell me why you think our poster received a ticket based on Radar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverblade760

well the officer followed me for about 5 seconds which means he was trying to pace my speed which isn't an accurate measure.. but i just found out i can't motion for discovery in MD district courts. So based on the previous posts i guess my best option is to plead guilty and ask for probation before judgement; which should be granted because it's a first offense, correct? Oh and i got to court 9:00 tomorrow

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">