• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

79 in a 40mph zone., how much will insurance go up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ls7

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I got a ticket for 80 in a 40 zone. Don't lecture me on why i was going that fast. I know it was stupid and I admit that I made a mistake. This is a 5 point violation. I hired a lawyer that I have used before. If I lose my license, how much will my insurance go up would you think? Or would they just drop it all together? I've never had an accident.

Thank you for any advice.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I got a ticket for 80 in a 40 zone. Don't lecture me on why i was going that fast. I know it was stupid and I admit that I made a mistake. This is a 5 point violation. I hired a lawyer that I have used before. If I lose my license, how much will my insurance go up would you think? Or would they just drop it all together? I've never had an accident.

Thank you for any advice.
$13,582.45 a year.

Breeze is up to his old tricks again. . . :D

Your lawyer should be able to get this reduced to 5 mph over the limit with no points unless you gave the officer a difficult time. . . District judges don't like that. Although 40 mph over may be a bit of a challenge for even the best of the best.

If your lawyer is successful and your insurance carrier checks DMV records on an annual basis (as Erie does), or you switch carriers within the next three years, you may see a 20% increase in your rates. . . If your license is suspended that presents additional problems. Otherwise, show up for court; be kind, courteous, respectful, and honest.

I'm curious. Did they cite you for a standard speeding code violation or reckless driving? Were you ticketed by the state or local police? If local police -- this is an interesting case in Pennsylvania that your attorney may or may not be aware of: http://travel.3dresearch.com/appeal/i.html (copy & paste this link (if it is not activated) into your web browser).

KTL

moburkes

If your lawyer is successful and your insurance carrier checks DMV records on an annual basis (as Erie does), or you switch carriers within the next three years, you may see a 20% increase in your rates. . . If your license is suspended that presents additional problems. Otherwise, show up for court; be kind, courteous, respectful, and honest.KTL
Where'd you get that from? There is no specific amount in PA.

Where'd you get that from? There is no specific amount in PA.
Years of experience receiving and fighting tickets as a resident in PA. First, points are not assessed for any ticket within 5 mph over the limit yet the fine and costs are still in the $120 range. Every single District Judge that I have gone (over 10 in the last 25 years) before has reduced the speed to 5 mph over without legal representation. In fact I just had one in March that was 65 mph in a 35 zone. I walked into the hearing and the District Judge cut to the chase by asking me if I was willing to plead guilty to 40 mph in a 35 zone, no points. I agreed and was out of there in 5 minutes with a refund check for the difference in the mail to me.

As far as the insurance goes, at least in PA, most carriers do not pay the $5 to run the DMV reports unless there is a specific reason to do so. A carrier by the name of Erie Insurance Company does however. At one point I did get caught up in the DMV report by switching coverage between carriers and the surcharge was approximately 20% for 3 years.

Curt581 said:
40 over the limit reduced to 5 over????!!
NO WAY.
Better cork that bottle. You've had enough.
We do things a little different in PA Curt581. The state, court and municipality gets their share of the costs and the respondent doesn't get any points. Everyone leaves the hearing happy. Don't touch the stuff! :D

KTL

moburkes

I have NEVER NOT run a report at renewal. NEVER. In PA, or any of the other 47 other states that I processed renewals in. NEVER. Also, you forget that insurance companies could care less about points. They don't look at them. They have their own point system.

ls7

I was not mean to the cop or anything. I think I may have admitted it though. I was kind of scared...I've had a reckless driving ticket before and a running red light in conjunction with 36mph over the limit so my record isn't very good. These are all within the last year by the way, so i've spent the extra cash to get the lawyer each time in case the judge didn't like me. It says on my ticket though Must Appear in Court. Probably because its over 31mph.

Thanks all for the advice. But really though, how much should one expect my insurance to go up by? My insurance has been high my whole life. Every year approximately 3-4 tickets but never an accident. I've had to take the points on some of them though.

moburkes

You know, there is a really easy way to find out the answer to your question: Call your insurance agent and ASK.:eek: Gasp! I wish *I* had thought of that!

AHA

Hopefully THIS ticket will make you learn the lesson. Next time you speed so excessively you might kill someone, so for everyone else's sake, SLOW THE HELL DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ls7

I will try but i cant guarantee it. When im late for meetings, boy, you better keep to the right! You know whats funny. If I wouldnt have to look out for cops on the side of the road all the time and I can just keep speeding and focusing 100% on everything else, there would probably be less accidents. I focus more driving 30-40 over the limit than when im doing 65. I tried driving 65 the other day and found it near impossible. 55 is out of the question. I didnt buy a $70,000 car with a 7.0 liter engine to go the speed limit either. The worst ticket i've gotten is 142 in a 55.

Thanks guys

Betty

I have NEVER NOT run a report at renewal. NEVER. In PA, or any of the other 47 other states that I processed renewals in. NEVER. Also, you forget that insurance companies could care less about points. They don't look at them. They have their own point system.
This is also my understanding - that most ins. cos. will run a DMV report on each policy anniversary date.

Betty

I will try but i cant guarantee it. When im late for meetings, boy, you better keep to the right! You know whats funny. If I wouldnt have to look out for cops on the side of the road all the time and I can just keep speeding and focusing 100% on everything else, there would probably be less accidents. I focus more driving 30-40 over the limit than when im doing 65. I tried driving 65 the other day and found it near impossible. 55 is out of the question. I didnt buy a $70,000 car with a 7.0 liter engine to go the speed limit either. The worst ticket i've gotten is 142 in a 55.

Thanks guys
142 in a 55!! - have you ever thought of becoming a race car driver?

moburkes

I hope and pray that you have lots of insurance, and that you are never responsible for killing or injuring another human being due to your negligence and failure to obey the law.

cepe10

I hope and pray that you have lots of insurance, and that you are never responsible for killing or injuring another human being due to your negligence and failure to obey the law.
And based on your utter lack of understanding that this is a legal advice forum and regard for others who may want such advice we all hope that you are unable to breed and create more finger pointers:)

To the OP, slow down to the 85% limit and you should think of getting a legal service to fight tickets for you, at $16 a month it is a lot cheaper, As for this ticket you should really fight it with a lawyer if you are unable or don't want to argue and challenge the evidence - namely the radar unit and the calibration devices used on it.

moburkes

And based on your utter lack of understanding that this is a legal advice forum and regard for others who may want such advice we all hope that you are unable to breed and create more finger pointers:)
What fingers did I point? Even to YOUR standards (which you've said time and time again, are to driver at the speed of traffic, which is usually over the speed limit), this person is an accident waiting to happen. Period.
What? Do you really think that I want this person to cause an accident, and potentially seriously harm someone, so that he can be taught a lesson? You've got me all wrong, buddy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">