• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

8 points on provisional (17 yr old) with encompass car insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xafsamx

I live in New Jersey. I'm 17 and only have a provisional license. The other day I got charged for improper passing (39.4-85), careless driving (39.4-97) and failure to signal (39.4-126). This is a total of 8 points.

Is it possible for me to remove all of these points within a year using the Probationary Driver School Program and the Defensive Driving Program, and remaining violation free for a year?

I have Encompass Car Insurance. How will these points affect how much is payed (how much will it go up per year; average)?

I was thinking that my parents could just take me off the insurance. I've had my license since 7/28/09 and this incident occurred on 12/24/09. So what if they did just decide to take me off?

What is the best thing to do in this situation? How can I reduce points quickly and how many points can be deducted? What about insurance reduction?

*Please help me out with answers to these questions and just give any other advice that you can. I just feel bad that my parents are going to have to deal with the cost.*What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

Traffic school will reduce some... but not 8.

Your insurance will, at least, triple.
And if Encompass allows an exclusion, you will not be able to drive. Period.
Also, Encompass may cancel your parents' car insurance. And since they're no longer writing monoline policies, if your parents have home insurance with them, they might cancel that as well. I'm not familiar with insurance cancellations and nonrenewals in your state, so I can't be 100% sure how this will play out.

The 3 point reduction which is available through that course won't reduce your fines or penalties. Likely you'll lose your license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">