• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

80/65, Guilty in Absentia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjeremey

What is the name of your state? TN, Ticket in VA
hey, new here, posting this in regard to another post i had found.
I got this ticket on the interstate in botetourt (sp?), va while on leave from iraq, in January.
va has a system to where you can pay tickets online, and i figured i would utilize this due to the fact that i wouldn't be able to attend to court date. however, when trying to us the va courts system online my ticket never showed online as prepayable, despite my ticket being listed as such.
the court date was on march 17, and needless to day, this date has come and passed without any action on my part. the case is now listed as "guilty in absentia". I have never had an unpaid ticket or citation, and i would like to know how to resolve this issue.
the previous post i was referring to had his ticket resolved as a misdeamour, the ticket of which he had paid four years after the fact.

also, since I am deployed to iraq, i cannot have any court action taken against me during the period which i am serving overseas. since the court date was to be while i am here, is there any way I can contact the court about getting a new court date?

I understand I am doing all this after the fact. getting around to reliable communications is a tad bit hard at times where I am at.

FlyingRon

What were you charged with? 46.2-862 is one of the reckless driving (VERY SERIOUS) charges. 81 would have been an automatic. Exactly 80 in 65 wouldn't.

You would not have been able to prepay the reckless if that was the case.

Unless you're a minor you could have always mailed the payment.

Yep, when you blow off the judge he will most likely find you guilty.

Just because you're deployed doesn't mean you can just ignore all your obligations. If you'd have bothered to contact the court, you'd probably not be in this mess. How are they supposed to know you are deployed rather than being a fujitive.

I suggest CALLING the court involved and seeing. It might however be advantageous to seek a lawyer in that juridiction to handle it.

I believe you are also WRONG in that court action can't be taken against you while deplyed.
CIVIL procedings can't. This is criminal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">