• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

81/45 in VA--Reckless Driving by Speed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Randongirl

What is the name of your state? VIRGINIA

I rented a car this weekend to drive up to NY. I was driving back last night to UVA and on Route 29,about 20 miles away from UVA, I was pulled over and the officer gave me reckless driving by speed ( 81/45) ticket. I was charged under 46.2-862 (1-1) and am to appear in court on August 10th. Here are some of the facts before I proceed.

As I said it was 1 in the morning and Route 29 was deserted. I did not have any cars around me to gauze my speed. Also, since I am from CT ( that is where my license is from), I was not familiar with the speed sign. This was one of the first time I drove through 29. I do admit that I wasn't going 45MPH but I also do not believe that I was going 81. But I was very polite when he stopped me and did not argue with him. I was actually too shocked, I have had my licence for about a year and haven't had any tickets so far. This was the first time I was pulled over, and I actually even stopped on the right side of the road due to sheer panic. I have been summoned to the Green County Court House.

What would you advise me to do? Do you think I should consider getting a help of a lawyer, though it might be too expensive for me to consider that option. Any kind of pointers and advise will be appreciated. How realistic are my chances of reducing the reckless driving to just normal speeding since it is my first time.

Thank you very much for your time.

Do a search here on VA for several hundred posts similar to yours.

Take this very serious as a conviction risks leaving you with a possible suspension of your licence and a misdemeanor (criminal) record. VA has been known to sentence speeders to some jail time -- possible risk for you given you were 36 over the limit.

Call the Maryland DMV and find out what happens if this conviction comes back to your state.

A lawyer will be expensive but has good chance of minimizing the damage and saving you money in the long run.

Again, do a search here for much more info.

Virgina Speeding Ticket

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">