• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

84 in a 55.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sharkey2020

I recently recieved a speeding ticket for 29 over in Illinois. I have a lawyer. I know the potential consequences. But I am scared of what will happen. With a lawyer do you think it will be reduced to a petty offense or what? I had one speeding ticket in my past 3 years ago for 10 over and that is my only prior. Thank you

xylene

It is a petty offense. Worse case, you are looking at a 1000 dollar fine and the imposition of 3 month suspension.

I'mTheFather

It is a petty offense. Worse case, you are looking at a 1000 dollar fine and the imposition of 3 month suspension.
It's not. It's a class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a $1500 fine. With a lawyer and pretty clean record, the max isn't likely, but it's no longer a petty offense.

ETA: Since January, supervision is a possible outcome for this offense. Again, good thing you have a lawyer.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I recently recieved a speeding ticket for 29 over in Illinois. I have a lawyer. I know the potential consequences. But I am scared of what will happen. With a lawyer do you think it will be reduced to a petty offense or what? I had one speeding ticket in my past 3 years ago for 10 over and that is my only prior. Thank you
You have an attorney that you are paying good money to. If you don't feel comfortable enough asking him questions then it's time to find another attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">