• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

90 in a 55 in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MusicManG3

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I'm 19 years old, and a few months ago I was pulled over going 90 in a 55 on GA400. By law, I'm subject to have my license suspended for 6 months. My record has one prior which was a little over a year ago. I was ticketed driving too fast for conditions when I locked my brakes and ran off the road.

I really don't care how much the court makes me do, I simply can't afford to lose my license. How do I go about accomplishing that? Friends tell me to talk to a solicitor and plead with him/her to lower ticket.

I work on cars for a living, and I have to have a valid drivers license to do so. Is that something to mention or would they just not care?

I'm just looking for some advice as to not make an ass of myself and better my chances of keeping my drivers license.

FlyingRon

What were you charged with? If just with the excessive speed, you end up with 12 points (6 each for your two convictions) which leaves you out of the mandatory suspension (which rolls in at 15).

But if you really want to not appear as an ass:

1. Slow down
2. Consult with an attorney that specializes in these traffic issues

WillieD

Hey, I just had the same thing over Thanksgiving. However, I was "said" to be doing 97 and was caught from the opposite direction. The Highway patrolman was such a nice guy, he wrote that I was doing that in a 65 zone, even though it was a 55. Since there'd be no way for me to go down there to fight it, I contacted an attorney. For $500 + fine ($372) he would be able to go to the courthouse and "have it taken care of". I don't know what that entails or what he does/ did, but I went for it and hope everything works out.

Were you pulled over by a State police, or someone local? As I was looking up the GA laws, there seemed to be less checks made to them. Most specifically, I saw that you are to be shown the read out on the radar immediately after being pulled over, below the State level. The GA laws are under title 40, chapter 14 and has a lot of little things you might be able to pick out about your situation. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">