• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

92 in 65 - WI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vicks

What is the name of your state? WI

I was pulled over for going 27MPH over the speed limit in Wisconsin (92 in a 65). I've been cited with a $289.80 fine, a 6 point recduction on my license, and I have a mandatory court date. This is my first citation for a traffic violation of any kind and I am 19 years old. I have a few questions regarding my ticket.

- I don't own the vehicle I was driving, will there be consequences (insurance etc.) for the person who owns the vehicle? And if so, what can I do to minimize these consequences or assist the owner in taking care of them?

- In an area maked "Agency Space" on the citation, the offier wrote in "Mandatory Suspension". I assume, although the officer told me it would ultimatly be decided by the judge, that my license will get suspended. Is there anything I can do to avoid a suspension?

- About the 6 points off my license. I understand that this will result in increased insurance costs, is there anything I can do to minimze/avoid them?

- I plan on pleading either guilty to no contest. Would one plea be more preferable than the other in my situation?

I don't have much in the way of a defense. I was test-driving a car I wasn't used to, going MUCH faster than I expected, and simply wasn't paying attention to the spedometer. I have a pretty clean record outside of an underage drinking ticket recieved in September of last year. My goal at this point is damage control. I accept I made a miserably stupid mistake but want to do what I can legally to minimze the effects it has on my future in terms of driving record, insurance, etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice you are able to offer.

lwpat

Retain an attorney. It will be cheaper in the long run. The insurance of the person that owns the vehicle will not go up, just yours.

vicks

lwpat said:
Retain an attorney. It will be cheaper in the long run. The insurance of the person that owns the vehicle will not go up, just yours.
As far as an attorney goes, would a public defender be acceptable? Or would you advise the more expensive route? I don't have a whole ton of money to spend, but if it will save me more in the long run I'd be able to get it.

sukharev

Q: - I don't own the vehicle I was driving, will there be consequences (insurance etc.) for the person who owns the vehicle? And if so, what can I do to minimize these consequences or assist the owner in taking care of them?

A: only your record is affected, not the car owner.

Q: - In an area maked "Agency Space" on the citation, the offier wrote in "Mandatory Suspension". I assume, although the officer told me it would ultimatly be decided by the judge, that my license will get suspended. Is there anything I can do to avoid a suspension?

A: you need to check if your license is already suspended (before trial). If it is, stop driving until you get the issue resolved.

Q: - About the 6 points off my license. I understand that this will result in increased insurance costs, is there anything I can do to minimze/avoid them?

A: you can try to plea bargain with the DA before trial (basically, you listen to the offer of lower fine and less points, and say yea or no).

Q: - I plan on pleading either guilty to no contest. Would one plea be more preferable than the other in my situation?

A: both will be equivalent in terms of consequences. If you accept the offer from DA, then it is a mute point. However, if no offer is on the table, or if you don't get to speak to DA and go straight to trial, you could just plead guilty with explanation that you gave. That said, try to read about available defense methods, and consider a not guilty plea and fighting the ticket.

Iwpat is right, if you have $500 to spare, hire an attorney who is familiar with the court and can defend you. I believe you don't have a public defender option unless it's a criminal trial and you cannot afford an attorney.

weenor

Under the Wisconsin statutes a traffic offense that requires automatic suspension (i.e. DUI and I don't know if your violation would qualify) your will be automatically suspended by the DMV without input from the court...then the court will suspended your license after you are found guilty. The suspensions will eventually coincide but your administrative suspension will likely occur prior to the court date..so you need to check

A no contest will result in the same penalties as pleading guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">