• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

93 in 65 in NH need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tryptamine

I was caught going 93 in a 65 in NH via radar. I went past him in the right lane doing 93 and after i went past him he pulled out and followed me. He did not turn on his lights or anything he simply came within 3 ft (not Literal) of my rear bumper and tailgated me. I had slowed down at that point because i did not think that this was a police officer at the time. (It was 10pm at night and i guess he waited to pull out for a little bit. He was also driving a new marked Dodge charger and since i live in MA im used to seeing Crown vics for police) Im used to MA traffic where agressive drivers are common so i sped up to around 75 to see if he would back off. He got closer and it started to scare me. This went on for a while and not only that but i tried to change lanes to let him pass and he did no such thing or even indicate he was a police officer. We probabley hit 85mph in that little stint of road. Eventually I pulled over and then after i came to a complete stop and was about to open the door to what was the major problem with this person was he hit his lights. I was immedatly compliant as soon as he identified himself. I was kind of relieved to find out it was an officer and not a crazy road raging driver. we pulled into a DOT station where he issued the ticket, angrily to me. So here are my questions.

1. Do i have to pay/appear since this ticket is in NH and i live in MA?
2. Do i have a chance to have this fine dropped or reduced because he never identified himself as an officer until I pulled over?
3. Is there any way i can have an alternative punishment (community service etc) because i cant afford the fine?
4. Shoud i hire a lawyer? If so from what state? Are there lawyers that are college student cheap?

I have to go to court in derry nh on the 6th according to the ticket. I just need help preparing for this. Here is some other information that may or may not help:
I have never before had anytype of criminal record.
I have never had a speeding ticket or a warning.
In july or so im going into the air force after i get my degree.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Kiawah

Pay the man at the booth, you're lucky he didn't write you up for reckless driving as well. He tailed you enough that he would have a lot of notes and most likely video of your driving. Learn a lesson. 28 over the speed limit, you are in big trouble, hire a lawyer.

The Occultist

I was caught going 93 in a 65 in NH via radar. I went past him in the right lane doing 93 and after i went past him he pulled out and followed me. He did not turn on his lights or anything he simply came within 3 ft (not Literal) of my rear bumper and tailgated me.
Typical behavior for officers.

I had slowed down at that point because i did not think that this was a police officer at the time.
Wait, are you saying that you wouldn't have slowed down if you had known it was an officer?

(It was 10pm at night and i guess he waited to pull out for a little bit. He was also driving a new marked Dodge charger and since i live in MA im used to seeing Crown vics for police)
And?

Im used to MA traffic where agressive drivers are common so i sped up to around 75 to see if he would back off.
So, to escape a potentially dangerous situation, you decided to go faster and thus make the situation more dangerous?

He got closer and it started to scare me.
Then you should have slowed down and called the police to report this driving that you found dangerous.

This went on for a while and not only that but i tried to change lanes to let him pass and he did no such thing or even indicate he was a police officer.
He doesn't need to indicate that he's an officer.

We probabley hit 85mph in that little stint of road.
Not very smart on your part.

Eventually I pulled over and then after i came to a complete stop
About time.

and was about to open the door to what was the major problem with this person was he hit his lights. I was immedatly compliant as soon as he identified himself. I was kind of relieved to find out it was an officer and not a crazy road raging driver. we pulled into a DOT station where he issued the ticket, angrily to me. So here are my questions.

1. Do i have to pay/appear since this ticket is in NH and i live in MA?
I find it amusing that you actually asked this question. This sort of logic would indicate that I can commit any crimes I like as long as I go out of my home state first.

2. Do i have a chance to have this fine dropped or reduced because he never identified himself as an officer until I pulled over?
Completely irrelevant, so no.

3. Is there any way i can have an alternative punishment (community service etc) because i cant afford the fine?
Plea bargains can be discussed with the DA or whomever is trying your case.

4. Shoud i hire a lawyer? If so from what state? Are there lawyers that are college student cheap?
You should hire a lawyer whose office is as close as possible to the court at which your hearing will be held. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential in yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

I have never before had anytype of criminal record.
I have never had a speeding ticket or a warning.
These may aid in your attempts to get a plea bargain; discuss these items with your attorney.

In july or so im going into the air force after i get my degree.
They won't care.

Thanks for the help in advance!
If you provide the statute number of the charge being held against you, more insight to your situation may be provided.

Tryptamine

I had slowed down at that point because i did not think that this was a police officer at the time.

Wait, are you saying that you wouldn't have slowed down if you had known it was an officer?

whoops i meant sped up! sorry!

What is a statute number and where is it located on the ticket?
If you mean the charge it only says speeding.

Thanks for the help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">