• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoned car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

quirk

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Ok, I did a really stupid thing, and there is a price to pay for that, which I understand. However...

My very old car suddenly while I was driving started running very badly. I pulled over at the nearest auto shop, who fiddled around for a bit, told me it was only running on two cylinders, and gave me an estimate for further diagnosis. Told them, I'd think about it, decided later not to try to fix it but instead to donate the car, asked if I could leave the car there until the red cross could come get it, they said ok. Played phone tag with red cross for a while, finally found out they didn't want it, and procrastinated a while finding someone who did. Been out of town a lot, etc, and just haven't had my butt in gear. My fault, I know. Shop had it towed. Could have let me know first (won't do business with them again because they didn't), but, within their rights, and understandable, and not really the part I'm upset about.

What does bother me. Car was towed on 8/23. Certified letter mailed on 9/5, I got the pick-up notice on the 7th (sat), took off work early to pick up letter on the 9th (monday), talked to the towing company same day. Of course they are charging me storage fees starting 8/23. Legal? Can they wait two weeks before trying to notify me they have my car, charging me all the while? And if not, what the heck can I do about it? Anybody know?

H

happee

your car, your responsibility

If you knew that the mechanics garage had it towed off their lot, rightfully so, a simple phone call to them would have let you know what towing company towed it. If they were not helpful in telling you who towed it, then you look in the yellow pages and call every tow company in town until you find it. They do not try to hide the fact they have your vehicle, however it is not their responsibility to inform you. It is your vehicle and therefore your responsibility to know what happens to it. They cannot store your vehicle for free because the lot they store it on has to be payed for by them and usually consists of several other neglected vehicles. After a period of @ 20 days in most states they can declare it abandoned and file what's called a mechanics lien to obtain the title. Then they are legally obligated to contact you via certified letter to let you know about the charges etc...If you choose not to claim the vehicle or pay the charges then they can file to receive the title and hold a public auction on it and sell it to be compensated for their fees storing it. It may not sound right to you, but it is legal. You should not have put your vehicle in that situation to start with.

My brother-n-law owns and operates a towing recovery service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">