• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In accident with limited/restricted driving privlidges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shortydave

I am an Ohio resident and currently have a suspended license and have driving privileges to and from work. I was recently in a rear end crash on my way to work, but when the police officer arrived I realized I did not have my driving privilege paper or my registration in the vehicle. I have no idea what happened to them or why/when I even removed them from my glove box. I have to go to court later this week and was wondering if I could lose my driving privileges simply for not carrying the correct paperwork in my vehicle, or what the consequences will be. I did have insurance and I was on my driving root, so the only law I technically broke (other than getting in the accident itself) was not having my required paperwork on me at the time of the accident.

FlyingRon

That's entirely at the discretion of the judge. You could get anything from a stern admonishment to revoking your restricted privs to lengthening suspension or unsuspending any suspension of sentence on whatever it was that got your license suspended to start with.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...I realized I did not have my driving privilege paper or my registration in the vehicle.
Driving is a privilege. Being given a restricted license is even more of a privilege which you seem to be missing. When driving under those circumstances you'd better make sure all your "i"'s are dotted and "t"'s crossed. You don't seem to be taking your restricted privilege seriously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">