• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident, ticket for "Failure to control speed" Any advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwilkins

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have a court case tomorrow on this. Any advice appreciated...

Most of this is probably the usual sad story -- Clear, sunny morning. Dry roads. Heavy traffic. We (the "pack") were just starting to get up near highway speeds again when someone a couple of car lengths ahead slams on the brakes. The cars behind just barely avoided hitting him. ...until I came along. I hit the car in front of me which resulted in a chain reaction ultimately involving four cars including my own. I was in back, so it's automatically my fault. State trooper shows up, asks a few questions, writes up accident report and issues a ticket to me for "Failure to control speed to avoid a collision." (TA21801b) Badabing Badaboom.

I'm not so naive to think that pleading "not guilty" is a good idea. However, I do think there are some mitigating circumstances. So I'm figuring maybe "guilty with an explanation." As I understand it, my need for advice mostly centers around which of the following may be worth mentioning, or if there are other hints that might be helpful. (I've read seniorjudge's hints on appearing in court.)

1. I'm 43, been driving _a_lot_ since 17 and this is my first accident.
2. No airbags deployed and no injuries, so speed was not as extreme as "four car pileup" might suggest.
3. My record isn't spotless, but pretty clean. It's probably been at least 5 years since my last moving violation. (Speeding.) I have no points. Don't recall ever having any.
3. This was my first car with anti-lock brakes, which I feel didn't stop the car as quickly as I had expected. Apparently it's fact that on a dry, straight road, anti-lock brakes require _more_ distance to stop than their primative ancestors. I didn't know that.
4. I was distracted by the car in front of me trying to get out of the way. He ultimately didn't, due to traffic in the next lane. Had I not been distracted, I would have probably taken more evasive action on my own, or slammed on the brakes harder/earlier. (Yes, I suspect this is pretty weak.)
5. I was too concerned about the car behind me. This is a longstanding and apparently bad habit. I almost always look in the rear view mirror reflexively whenever I have to stop fast, and try to "use all the space in front of me" to avoid getting read-ended, rather than standing on the brakes, come what may. Another lesson hard learned?
6. "It all happened so fast. *sniffle* My car was totalled. Isn't that punishment enough?!? *sob*"

I'm far less concerned about the $120 fine than the 3(!) points, for reasons which are probably obvious. Should I persue diversion(?). If I go before the judge, are any of my points above worth mentioning in any form?

Thanks in advance for any clues...

-- Charlie

S

shell007

cwilkins said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have a court case tomorrow on this. Any advice appreciated...

Most of this is probably the usual sad story -- Clear, sunny morning. Dry roads. Heavy traffic. We (the "pack") were just starting to get up near highway speeds again when someone a couple of car lengths ahead slams on the brakes. The cars behind just barely avoided hitting him. ...until I came along. I hit the car in front of me which resulted in a chain reaction ultimately involving four cars including my own. I was in back, so it's automatically my fault. State trooper shows up, asks a few questions, writes up accident report and issues a ticket to me for "Failure to control speed to avoid a collision." (TA21801b) Badabing Badaboom.

I'm not so naive to think that pleading "not guilty" is a good idea. However, I do think there are some mitigating circumstances. So I'm figuring maybe "guilty with an explanation." As I understand it, my need for advice mostly centers around which of the following may be worth mentioning, or if there are other hints that might be helpful. (I've read seniorjudge's hints on appearing in court.)

1. I'm 43, been driving _a_lot_ since 17 and this is my first accident.
2. No airbags deployed and no injuries, so speed was not as extreme as "four car pileup" might suggest.
3. My record isn't spotless, but pretty clean. It's probably been at least 5 years since my last moving violation. (Speeding.) I have no points. Don't recall ever having any.
3. This was my first car with anti-lock brakes, which I feel didn't stop the car as quickly as I had expected. Apparently it's fact that on a dry, straight road, anti-lock brakes require _more_ distance to stop than their primative ancestors. I didn't know that.
4. I was distracted by the car in front of me trying to get out of the way. He ultimately didn't, due to traffic in the next lane. Had I not been distracted, I would have probably taken more evasive action on my own, or slammed on the brakes harder/earlier. (Yes, I suspect this is pretty weak.)
5. I was too concerned about the car behind me. This is a longstanding and apparently bad habit. I almost always look in the rear view mirror reflexively whenever I have to stop fast, and try to "use all the space in front of me" to avoid getting read-ended, rather than standing on the brakes, come what may. Another lesson hard learned?
6. "It all happened so fast. *sniffle* My car was totalled. Isn't that punishment enough?!? *sob*"

I'm far less concerned about the $120 fine than the 3(!) points, for reasons which are probably obvious. Should I persue diversion(?). If I go before the judge, are any of my points above worth mentioning in any form?

Thanks in advance for any clues...

-- Charlie
Why are you trying to get out of responsibility for this. OBVIOUSLY...you were moving at a pretty good speed in order to cause a 4 car chain reaction.

Additionally: DON'T be surprised when this "no injury" of the other vehicles driver's TURNS OUT to be a HUGE lawsuit against you.

CdwJava

Due to the potential exposure to civil liability, it might be to your benefit to consult an attorney to fight the citation. Beating the cite (slim, but anything is possible) might help to mitigate some of the damages in a civil suit.

- Carl

cwilkins

shellandty said:
Why are you trying to get out of responsibility for this. OBVIOUSLY...you were moving at a pretty good speed in order to cause a 4 car chain reaction.

Additionally: DON'T be surprised when this "no injury" of the other vehicles driver's TURNS OUT to be a HUGE lawsuit against you.
Hey shellandty, no need to sugar coat things. Just give it to me straight, I can take it!

Seriously, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to respond, or whether to bother. Are you a troll? Are you suggesting that I just pay the fine and take the points because doing so satisfies some OBVIOUS responsibility? Should I ask the judge for additional points or a higher fine? Would that make you happy?

I've always been insured and I never had an accident in 26 years of driving. I think that's pretty friggin' responsible, where it COUNTS, thankyouverymuch. None the less, that 26 year record was blown all to hell in a couple of seconds. My fault? I didn't say otherwise, and I will not lie to the judge. But nor do I think it's "just" or "fair" that I just bend over and take whatever the state has in mind for me. Yes, I'd like to contain the financial damage to myself and my family. If that's "irresponsible", then guilty as charged!

-cw-

Last edited:

cwilkins

CdwJava said:
Due to the potential exposure to civil liability, it might be to your benefit to consult an attorney to fight the citation. Beating the cite (slim, but anything is possible) might help to mitigate some of the damages in a civil suit.

- Carl
Thanks Carl. That makes sense and I understand the concern. According to my insurance company, this is all wrapped up with a pretty bow on it. Everybody is happy on that front. All that's left is tomorrow's court case for the citation. Whether or not it was unwise to proceed without a lawyer, the reality is that the case is tomorrow and I expect my chances of getting a lawyer in time are slim. If I'm wrong about that and you think it's a mistake to go without one, any tips on getting a rapid deployment traffic lawyer would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I think I'm just looking for advice on how to minimize the chances of getting hit with three points.

Does 26 years of accident-free driving count for anything? I've been driving this particular highway (part of a 25 mile commute) for the past 16 years. I've been told that's probably the best thing to bring up, and perhaps the bit about no airbags deploying, to help address the concerns that four cars were involved. (A BMW, a 2005 Dodge Magnum and a Lexus. I hit the jackpot!) FWIW, the two front cars barely had a mark.

Would my insurance company be of any use? Maybe info about repair costs for the other cars would be useful? My concern is that if the judge is prone to jumping to conclusions, s/he's likely to assume (just as shellandty did) that because it was a 4 car accident that I must've been completely careless, paying no attention at all and slammed into these people doing 40+ mph. The reality is more like... Had there been another 6 to 10 feet in front of me, there would have been no accident. More than anything, I feel like the brakes really let me down, but if I go to the judge with my sob story about brakes and distractions and worrying about the car behind me, I expect s/he's going to conclude I'm just making excuses. But I'm not trying to get out of being "at fault." I'm just trying to say there's a little more to it than that. I wasn't daydreaming, or changing stations on the radio, or talking on the phone. I *was* paying attention to what was going on in front of me. I *did* leave a few car lengths of space. So did I follow too closely, or fail to react quickly and decisively enough? Seems I'd have to say "yes" to one or both of those questions. But I still maintain there's more to it than that. Is the judge likely to care? Mood dependent?

It's been about two months, and honestly I'm still in shock that this even happened. I blew my 26 year record. I damaged three other cars and lost the nicest car I ever owned. And now I've got to go to ^%$#@! court. Ouch!!

sigh... sorry for being so longwinded.

--Charlie

CdwJava

Well, the bottom line is the party that rear ends another is going to be legally at fault under almost all circumstances - and certainly this one. I doubt there is much you can do to beat the charge, but your record might find a merciful ear with the court ... it really is going to be a roll of the dice. The judge might cut you a break ... or, he might say, "Thanks for the story - guilty."

Good luck.

- Carl

cwilkins

CdwJava said:
Well, the bottom line is the party that rear ends another is going to be legally at fault under almost all circumstances - and certainly this one. I doubt there is much you can do to beat the charge, but your record might find a merciful ear with the court ... it really is going to be a roll of the dice. The judge might cut you a break ... or, he might say, "Thanks for the story - guilty."

Good luck.

- Carl
That's what I was afraid of -- it all comes down to which judge and what kind of mood s/he's in. I just keep telling myself to relax and that it's not that big a deal if I lose. IANAL, but I figure it's pretty unlikely I'll get sent to death row. :)

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments and the luck. I'll try to put it to good use, and I'll post back with how the case turns out.

-cw-

cwilkins

Turned out ok after all. $90 fine, $25 costs and no points. I could have presented my case better, but I was nervous. What shocked me right out of my shoes was when the judge asked if there were any witnesses, and I heard a "yes" from the back of the courtroom! It was the guy I rear-ended. The judge dismissed him since I'd plead guilty, but still... Wow! I kept wondering how he came to be there. Did the trooper or court ask him to come? Is that standard operating procedure? Just when I had myself convinced that this wasn't all that big a deal...

My explantion to the judge was mostly about my clean driving record, and for some reason I threw in the bit about anti-lock brakes. Failed to mention that no airbags deployed, or any of the other stuff. Not sure how much info the judge had in front of him already. Watching the other cases, he was quite fair and I felt he was fair to me as well. I overheard some lawyers talking behind me, saying he was a new judge and joking that he hadn't become jaded yet. Seems I could have done worse. A lot of cases got tossed because the officer wasn't there. A few got tossed because the officer spoke up at some point and said "no evidence." That was interesting. Lots and lots of "failure to appear."

My officer got totally flustered on one speeding citation. I suspect he's still kinda new at this. The D showed up with his lawyer and every time the officer tried to mention the speed reading, the lawyer objected. Apparently the officer hadn't established enough background about certifications and whatnot. He tried about five different ways to state his evidence. Every time, "Objection! Sustained." Finally the trooper just threw up his hands and said "no evidence." That was the end of that. During a recess, he expressed no end of frustration, talking about "if these fools want to kill themselves that's fine with me. I'll scrape them off the pavement later!" Other cops tried to calm him down. Made me recall an earlier speeding case with another cop where he went on at length about the certifications and calibrations for the unit, along with his own training and certs. Took a few minutes. Now I know why he did that...

I find it all very interesting. I just wish the circumstances had been a little different.

Anyhow thanks again,
Charlie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">