• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident w/careless driving ticket and speeding ticket within 2 weeks. Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bvinole

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am from Jacksonville, Florida and I went to Miami with some friends a couple of weeks ago for my birthday and while we were there we hydroplaned across I-95S and hit the wall on the median. I did not hit anyone and I was going about 45 MPH because driving in the rain makes me nervous. The state trooper gave us the option of filing the police report which we did for insurance purposes and I got a ticket for careless driving. The car ended up being totaled and we we went back to Miami yesterday to take care of everything with the insurance and get the radio out of the car. On the way home, I got a speeding ticket in the West Palm Beach area for going 30 over the speed limit, which I know for a fact I did not do because I'm still shaken from the previous accident and there were police all over the place so I did 75 not knowing what the speed limit was in the area. The ticket states that I have a mandatory court appearance in three weeks. I am worried that my license will get suspended because of the points from the careless driving ticket and my friend found out about a law recently passed in which I face jail time for going 30+ MPH over the speed limit. Before all this happened, I had 6 points on my license. I'm not sure what to do but I think obtaining a lawyer for the careless driving ticket would be my best bet; I'm not sure what's involved with a mandatory court appearance for speeding because I'm not from South Florida. Any help would be appreciated.What is the name of your state?

FlyingRon

It would behoove you to talk to a lawyer at least. They can usually tell you frankly what your options will be.

If you were on a road with a 45 MPH speed limit it obviously wasn't the interstate and I have no clue why you would think a speed that doesn't even apply to most of the I-95 would be a valid speed to travel.

bvinole

I would think that 45MPH would be a reasonable speed to travel when it's pouring rain outside and your visibility is low.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">