• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADD and speeding tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tabithatutt

A few hours ago, I got my first speeding ticket. In second grade I was diagnosed with severe ADD and was put on medication. I have had my license for about six months -my driving is incredibly safe, the only problem being that I sometimes hyperfocus on the road and lose track of the speed that I'm going. After getting the ticket I have decided to invest in cruise control, which would solve my issue of hyperfocusing and speeding. Do you think I could bring up the fact that I have documented ADD in court, and now plan on getting cruise control so that I am able to focus on the road while traveling at a safe (and legal) speed, and possibly get the ticket dismissed? I dont mind paying the ticket -as I was definitely speeding and in the wrong regardless of my medical condition, but if I end up having to pay the fine for the ticket, it will only take me much longer to be able to afford the cruise control (which would prevent this from ever happening in the future), as I am a high school student and only make enough to afford to pay insurance and gas currently.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No. Arguing that you have a medical condition that makes it impossible to focus on ALL aspects of driving - going at the legal speed is one of them - is ill advised.

If you cannot afford the insurance increase, then you cannot afford to drive.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think arguing in court that you have a medical condition that prevents you from focusing on all aspects of driving might easily result in your license being suspended.

AdoptADog

Cruise Control can't be used in all traffic situations. You can still speed in the city where the cruise control is pointless.

Ask to go to traffic school and move on.

Dave1952

Pay the ticket. Do not try to use the "hyperfocusing" excuse. Make an appointment ASAP with your physician. You need to find a cure for the hyperfocusing. Much of life requires situational awareness. You should not be driving.

Eekamouse

A few hours ago, I got my first speeding ticket. In second grade I was diagnosed with severe ADD and was put on medication. I have had my license for about six months -my driving is incredibly safe, the only problem being that I sometimes hyperfocus on the road and lose track of the speed that I'm going. After getting the ticket I have decided to invest in cruise control, which would solve my issue of hyperfocusing and speeding. Do you think I could bring up the fact that I have documented ADD in court, and now plan on getting cruise control so that I am able to focus on the road while traveling at a safe (and legal) speed, and possibly get the ticket dismissed? I dont mind paying the ticket -as I was definitely speeding and in the wrong regardless of my medical condition, but if I end up having to pay the fine for the ticket, it will only take me much longer to be able to afford the cruise control (which would prevent this from ever happening in the future), as I am a high school student and only make enough to afford to pay insurance and gas currently.
You should not be driving at all. You are unable to handle being behind the wheel, sounds like, if you tale is to be believed. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Cruise Control can't be used in all traffic situations. You can still speed in the city where the cruise control is pointless.

That all depends. I use my cruise control set to 35mph in a certain city on the Florida/Bama line. :cool:

justalayman

Welcome to real life kid. A disability diagnosis doesn't give you a pass on the law.
Not only that but it is basically a statement they should not be allowed on the road. Admitting one is knowingly an unsafe driver isn't too well recieved by the courts. I would be surprised if his license wasn't suspended for some period of time (until medically certified to be safe) should he attempt to pull the old; but I have [whatever]

AdoptADog

That all depends. I use my cruise control set to 35mph in a certain city on the Florida/Bama line. :cool:
Okie dokie, I get that, but are you using it in heavy traffic situations, or where there are loads of traffic signals? In my suburban town I could speed down the hill to the freeway (speed limit 35) at 50 easily, but cruise control just isn't pracitical due to the signals. If I hit them all green, go baby go, if not...well, rats! Sometimes the officers like to hang out in the parking lots at the bottom of the hill; thus my propensity to downshift in that area to slow myself down.

Then there was the area where I got my last speeding ticket...6 lane road..speed limit 45. Distance between signals about 3/4-1 mile. I was doing about 54. Yep, I did it, nope..didn't fight it. Not far enough in my opinion for cruise. Maybe others would use it. My BIL uses it far more often than I would, and comes screaming up on traffic until he stomps on the breaks!!

But this is Southern Cali between San Diego and LA. Whachu expect? :D

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Then there was the area where I got my last speeding ticket...
So you lied? You said THIS was your first one. Now you are saying you received a prior one?

But this is Southern Cali between San Diego and LA. Whachu expect? :D
For you to obey the law, including posted speed limits. You have no right to drive, especially in high school. You should start taking the bus to school.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So you lied? You said THIS was your first one. Now you are saying you received a prior one?

For you to obey the law, including posted speed limits. You have no right to drive, especially in high school. You should start taking the bus to school.
"AdoptADog" is not the OP. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First - this forum is for US law only - what is the name of your state?

Second - if you can't afford to pay for the consequences of the ticket, then how in the world would you be able to "invest" in cruise control? Generally, cruise control isn't something you just slap on to your car...you'd need to replace your car.

ETA: One more thing about this:
...but if I end up having to pay the fine for the ticket, it will only take me much longer to be able to afford the cruise control ...
Why do you think (or believe that any of us think) that you can't speed while using cruise control?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How can you begin to even guess at whether or not this is an option for the OP? Do you have some sort of cite to the applicable state law? Of course you don't...we don't even know what state this occurred in!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">