• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on a Robic speeding ticket in Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mckay90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

Long story short, I received a speeding ticket for going 49 in a 35 and have a court date set for July 9th. On this stretch of road there is only one set of lines(that are in the 35 zone, the road becomes a 45 shortly after) but they are not near where the cop said he was and I never saw where he was. Although he did warn me that more police would be there due to the construction going on which is closer to the building in my picture. I measured these lines and they do come out to 100 feet as written on the ticket so I am guessing he might say he was in front of the lines.

As I have never been to the magistrate's office I am wondering what the best course of action would be. Like what documents need to be presented and what kind of questions to ask.

Ticket information is: Clocked by Robic, miles timed - .0189, seconds timed - 1.37. The stopwatch was calibrated on 3-1-12 and I got the ticket on 4-21-12 so that is out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is very nerve-wracking to say the least. Here is a picture of the scene - http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/9994/8978.jpg

Proseguru

Who calibrated the stopwatch? Was it calibrated to support speeding convictions? Then you may be able to argue that the person who calibrated it must testify (right to confront). May not be successful but is something to argue and get on the record in case you want to appeal.

And you can ask the officer what the operator error is of the method. And then the operator to operator error is of the method. Then hope he goes "duh, errrr, I don't know".

mckay90

Thank you for the advice, definitely things I will try. Asking about operator error and how it varies I think will help. I mean at 100 feet half a second is like a 13 mph difference. I also plan to ask about what he used to measure the distance and if he himself measured it. I'm guessing there is paperwork that needs to go along with that? Anyway it seems like the best way to fight these is to attack the timing and distance.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Was it calibrated to support speeding convictions?
Huh? If it's calibrated it's calibrated for anything.

And you can ask the officer what the operator error is of the method. And then the operator to operator error is of the method. Then hope he goes "duh, errrr, I don't know".
What method?

mckay90: it's dangerous to listen to anything Proseguru says. He has demonstrated in the past that he knows nothing and he likes to just throw things out there and hope that he may be close to correct. I can't remember the last time he has been right about anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">