• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on speeding ticket 75 in 55 NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwilson721

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

In over 10 years of driving this is the first ticket I have ever received. I was supposedly caught speeding on the Taconic parkway in Milan NY last April. The ticket is for 1180B and says I was going 75 in a 55. While I was speeding, I was not going 75. There was no one else on the road, I was coming over a hill and saw an SUV stopped on the left side of the road so I slammed my brakes thinking someone was in trouble or going the wrong way on the divided highway. I'm from CT so I'd never seen an unmarked NY state SUV. Anyways, I got pulled over for speeding, didn't say anything to the cop. I now have to go to court next week as I plead not guilt.

I am looking for advice on what to say or do....
I have read about asking to see the calibration certification for the radar (a stalker dual) and the training certification for the state trooper. Is there a law that says how often these things need to be updated?
Is there anything else that I can use to help my case
Any advice is appreciated.
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cwilson721

I have tried using the search function of this site and just searching the internet in general. I have been able to find nothing that is of help to me. I need actual information on the violation code- which I can't find, and on the certification and calibration for NY state troopers and their radar guns. I haven't been able to find that either.
Anyone that could even give me a link to the information that I need, it would be greatly appreciated.
At this point I am just going to go into court and say that I wasn't speeding, and question the validity of the radar gun in use. And back that up by asking to see the calibration certificate, the officers training certificate, and to know when the last time the gun was serviced/ tested before my ticket. But it would really really help to know how often these things are required by law to be done. How often does the gun need to be calibrated/ checked? How often does the officer have to be trained?

Hey There

Where Speeding Information Is

cwilson721

Two websites to check for information are
1.Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea Bargaining
(Specific to New York traffic tickets)
2.Speeding Ticket FAQ
Fact: In court the only thing a driver needs to prove when cited
for a speeding ticket is that he wasn't going the speed the
officer cited him for. He doesn't have to prove the speed he
thought he was going.
(See Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea Bargaining)
and
as The Occultist posted
the search window on this Forum
will bring up posts with answers to your question.
Type in Speeding Ticket in N.Y. in search window in
upper right hand corner.

Good Luck,
Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">