• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

As advised.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Occultist

If you've been cited for such an offense, please provide the statute number under which you were charged so that we can more easily look up the relevant statute.

The Occultist

In that case, I will not do the research to look up the information, but I will give you some hints on how to find it.

Google is your friend. I would probably start by searching something along the lines of "florida traffic statutes" and look for a website url ending with .gov or .us or something official like that, and then searching through the site.

Krizteenah

Google and I are homeboys, though when I find laws, the words confuse me. Alas, I did not go to law school, and am just a measly college student.

So, about those yellow lights?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Google and I are homeboys, though when I find laws, the words confuse me. Alas, I did not go to law school, and am just a measly college student.

So, about those yellow lights?
Ask a cop ;)
The statutes aren't THAT hard to read through...a nice strapping college boy like you should have no problem understanding them.

FlyingRon

Well google and me ain't homeboys but the Florida statute is pathetically clear in my opionion:

Vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until a green indication is shown

If your "nose" is beyond the crosswalk or the "near side of the intersection" you have "entered" it and failed to comply with the law to stop BEFORE entering int.

If you back up a few sections to the part of the code marked "DEFINITIONS" you'll find that they even define intersection as the extended curb lines of the two roads that form it.

Krizteenah

Ask a cop ;)
The statutes aren't THAT hard to read through...a nice strapping college boy like you should have no problem understanding them.
I did. But he wasn't very nice to me. Also, I am quite the female. O:) And bio majors hardly dabble in law.

No, I was questioning the elusive yellow light. Red, as I understand, means STOP!

As far as I can see, it doesn't clearly state the terms of a yellow light, only that it warns that a red is coming, and one probably shouldn't enter an intersection, however it doesn't seem PROHIBITED. But this is what I'm asking for clarification on. I could be misinterpreting it entirely.

Last edited:

Krizteenah

The original post was originally a reply to another reply [about yellow light laws], in another post, but I was told to move it over here.

seniorjudge

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=traffic&URL=Ch0316/Sec075.HTM

(b) Steady yellow indication.--

1. Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection.

If you are in the intersection when the light turns red, you have run a red light.

This law is exceptionally simple.

So simple a scientist could understand it!;)

Krizteenah

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=traffic&URL=Ch0316/Sec075.HTM

(b) Steady yellow indication.--

1. Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection.

If you are in the intersection when the light turns red, you have run a red light.

This law is exceptionally simple.

So simple a scientist could understand it!;)
Thank you for showing this to me, though if you read CAREFULLY, it says that AFTER the red light flashes on, THEN no one can enter an intersection. Not that you are in trouble if you're already in it. But I appreciate your attempt, the actual definition helped me.

FlyingRon

Based solely on that statute, the yellow is just a sign that the red is coming. If you had already entered the intersection when the light turns red, you are not guilty (based solely on this statute). If however you're still outside and the light turns red and you enter intersection, you can't use the argument that it "unexpectedly" or "suddenly" or whatever turned red too fast for you to stop because you're given notice with the yellow.

Is there are real incident here or are you just fishing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">