• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit for Driving Without Lights on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lotrms

I was issued a ticket for driving without my lights on, (driving with only my running lights on), can, or should I use an affidavit for this situation? (In Oregon)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was issued a ticket for driving without my lights on, (driving with only my running lights on), can, or should I use an affidavit for this situation? (In Oregon)
You already asked this question:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/speeding-other-moving-violations-13/driving-running-lights-night-561271.html

Lotrms

In my last post, I was asking whether I should declare myself guilty or not guilty, and after reading the responses to my original post, I decided to declare myself guilty. However, no one really addressed the issue of an affidavit, and I'm not quite sure how they work. Would I be able to say I was guilty in an affidavit in lieu of a court appearance? I think what I really want to make sure of, is that I get my side of the story across to the judge, even if I declare myself guilty, and I thought an affidavit might be a better way to do that.

HomeGuru

In my last post, I was asking whether I should declare myself guilty or not guilty, and after reading the responses to my original post, I decided to declare myself guilty. However, no one really addressed the issue of an affidavit, and I'm not quite sure how they work. Would I be able to say I was guilty in an affidavit in lieu of a court appearance? I think what I really want to make sure of, is that I get my side of the story across to the judge, even if I declare myself guilty, and I thought an affidavit might be a better way to do that.
**A: no, it is not a better way.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
what I really want to make sure of, is that I get my side of the story across to the judge, even if I declare myself guilty, and I thought an affidavit might be a better way to do that.
"Guilty with an explanation" rarely helps you out any more than a straight "guilty". Especially in a clear cut case like this. I can't see you saying ANYTHING about this violation that will make a judge decide on a lesser penalty.

There really is no defense to this and saying something like "I forgot to turn the lights on" or "I thought I did turn them on" is certainly not going to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">