• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airplane radar and tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tc-Cred

Ok here is the skinny on this law or used to be... When i lived in Washington state (Seattle) i had gotten a speeding ticket by an officer who claimed i was speeding and that there was a plane using radar that had clocked me at said speed... I hired an attorney and he was not able to show up so he gave me case law... After the judge called my name i stood up and stated 3 words and the judge said I all ready know what your going to say... Case dissmissed.

I won... Here is why.

The law and the reasoning at the time was that the person in the airplane has to pre-sign all the tickets then the ground officer issues the ticket also signs, Becasue the issuing officer did not view or have any proof of you speeding he cannot state that you were. And because you cannot cross examine the pilot the case has to be droped...

Law, The person issuing the ticket has to also be the person that viewed you speeding... So if one officer clocks you and sends another officer to pull you over and issue the citatation(s) but has not clocked you personally you can win your case.... I am sorry i cannot remember which law it was...

Some states maybe differ, So please check your own state for case law...

Jim_bo

I think the issue would be based on hearsay evidence. The ground cop writing you a ticket only charges you and has you promise to appear. The witness against you is the cop in the sky. He is the one who needs to appear. If the ground cops shows up, then he can only testify as to what another party told him... i.e. hearsay.

racer72

I think the issue would be based on hearsay evidence. The ground cop writing you a ticket only charges you and has you promise to appear. The witness against you is the cop in the sky. He is the one who needs to appear. If the ground cops shows up, then he can only testify as to what another party told him... i.e. hearsay.
Speeding tickets in Washington are civil citations, the officer(s) are not required to appear. In the case above, the DA's office would have supplied the court with the civil complaint, officer's notes and witness depositions from each officer. Based on this and the defendants testimony, the judge or in most cases, the magistrate, makes his/her decision. I also take the post by the OP as hearsay, his story full of holes. 1. As stated, neither citing officer is required to attend, if the defendant want to question the officer, he would be required to subpoena the officer. 2. He conveniently forgot the case law. If it got me out of a ticket, I wouldn't forget it. At a minimum I would have written it somewhere for reference. 3. What were those 3 magic words?

The FA BS meter works just fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">