• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alabama Law ----Unmarked police car and non uniformed officer/detective

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nkflo

Alabama --- I was just pulled over by an unmarked car and issued a citation for "following too closely"
The actuality of the events are as so:
Was driving along road like a regular, yet skilled driver (Have both UK and US license and my parents were in the car.
Car in front (Unmarked car) decides last minute to pull into a parking lot and so puts his breaks on THEN indicates that he is turning, under 50 ft from the turn. This causes me to break A LITTLE harder than normal. Car then takes his sweet time going into the turn which then causes me to go a little closer (still 10+ ft from the car in front) so that the guy behind me who had to break more than a little harder than normal doesn't end up hitting me in the butt.
The car that was in front then backs out of the parking lot and onto the main and busy road to get right up on me and put on lights. I pulled over and asked him where he wanted me to stop, he directed me into a lane.
He then gets out of his car (which has no markings to indicate that it is a police vehicle other than the lights) and he is wearing khaki pants and a shirt and tie. He has a gun on one hip.
He does not identify himself to me, or tell me why he pulled me over, he straight up barks that I am to give him my license and insurance. At this point my father has spotted a hair salon across the way and decides to get out of the car and head over there to avoid this confrontation due to the ?officer? 's bad attitude. The officer (who still has not identified himself to me) then puts his hand on his gun and radios for back up. 4 other cop cars turn up. Once of which has to bring him a ticket book because he did not have one in his vehicle.
He gave me a ticket for following too close and drove off without ever explaining how, why, what, anything but has the audacity to speak to me like a piece of ****.
In this town you do not simply pay a ticket, I am now required to go to court over this.
Does anyone have any advice? Should I get a lawyer? I would hate to pay out the money for a lawyer for such a non-event but I feel as though this has to be totally against the law what this man has done? I was considering going to speak to the sheriff before the court date as even if the judge dismisses it, I still have to pay a court fee which again I feel is completely unlawful. (The other cops who turned up were the nice officers I'm used to seeing at town events etc who do serve and protect the people and even they couldn't explain what this was all about the guy told me "He radioed for back up and when I got here he asked for my citation book, I just handed him it without asking what was going on"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Alabama --- I was just pulled over by an unmarked car and issued a citation for "following too closely"
The actuality of the events are as so:
Was driving along road like a regular, yet skilled driver (Have both UK and US license and my parents were in the car.
Car in front (Unmarked car) decides last minute to pull into a parking lot and so puts his breaks on THEN indicates that he is turning, under 50 ft from the turn. This causes me to break A LITTLE harder than normal. Car then takes his sweet time going into the turn which then causes me to go a little closer (still 10+ ft from the car in front) so that the guy behind me who had to break more than a little harder than normal doesn't end up hitting me in the butt.
The car that was in front then backs out of the parking lot and onto the main and busy road to get right up on me and put on lights. I pulled over and asked him where he wanted me to stop, he directed me into a lane.
He then gets out of his car (which has no markings to indicate that it is a police vehicle other than the lights) and he is wearing khaki pants and a shirt and tie. He has a gun on one hip.
He does not identify himself to me, or tell me why he pulled me over, he straight up barks that I am to give him my license and insurance. At this point my father has spotted a hair salon across the way and decides to get out of the car and head over there to avoid this confrontation due to the ?officer? 's bad attitude. The officer (who still has not identified himself to me) then puts his hand on his gun and radios for back up. 4 other cop cars turn up. Once of which has to bring him a ticket book because he did not have one in his vehicle.
He gave me a ticket for following too close and drove off without ever explaining how, why, what, anything but has the audacity to speak to me like a piece of ****.
In this town you do not simply pay a ticket, I am now required to go to court over this.
Does anyone have any advice? Should I get a lawyer? I would hate to pay out the money for a lawyer for such a non-event but I feel as though this has to be totally against the law what this man has done? I was considering going to speak to the sheriff before the court date as even if the judge dismisses it, I still have to pay a court fee which again I feel is completely unlawful. (The other cops who turned up were the nice officers I'm used to seeing at town events etc who do serve and protect the people and even they couldn't explain what this was all about the guy told me "He radioed for back up and when I got here he asked for my citation book, I just handed him it without asking what was going on"
The audacity!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Welcome to Alabama, where traffic laws are enforced.

Yes, an unmarked police car (more than likely driven by a detective) can give you a ticket. Yes, I can understand why the officer called for backup. I'm surprised they didn't cuff Dad and put him in a car. Police officers don't like it when people exit cars they've pulled over without being directed to do so. You are quite lucky it didn't turn out that bad.

Pay the fine. If you had to brake hard, you were following too close, no matter what the car in front has done; I would say you aren't as skilled as you think you are. :cool:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you think the officer treated you with disrespect feel free to complain to his agency, however he did nothing illegal. You were following too closely - it's your responsibility to leave a safe distance between your car and the one in front of you and it sounds as if you did not do that.

OHRoadwarrior

It sounds more likely your father was trying to dispose of something illegal and the officer suspected that. I suggest you allow greater stopping distance in the future to allow for drivers taking their good old time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">