• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alleged red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Batman0456

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

This is hard to describe, but I'll take a crack at it. I was driving southbound on a road in Durham County and came to two traffic lights within 10 feet of each other (one directly in front of the other). The first one was a stale yellow, but the second one was green. When approaching the second, green light, two cars suddenly pulled into the intersection, making a left hand turn. Narrowly avoiding an accident, I realized the second of the two cars was a police car, and 4 more were lined behind it in the same turn lane. One of these officers turned around and pulled me over, claiming that (to my understanding) the second light was red, and that I ran it pursuant to NC G.S. 20-158 ("By entering an intersection while a stop light was emitting a steady red light for traffic in defendant's direction of travel.").
I tried to tell him my light was green, but as I understand it, he claimed that the light had to be red because the light on his side was red (and explains why the 2 cars entered the intersection when my side was green, because they had already started their turn when it changed).
I know for sure that they didn't have a protected left turn because I asked the officer if they did and he said no. If my light was red, it stands to reason that they would have gotten an arrow.
It obviously would make more sense if I was pulled over for running the first, yellow light, but while I had a double light, the officer had only the single light. There's no way the first light could be connected with the officer's.

Couple of questions: How solid is the case, considering that the officer that pulled me over had no actual knowledge of the condition of either light in question?

Additionally, I have a NC driver's license and am wondering if the PJC route is the best to go (my driving record is impeccable, or it was prior to this).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Y

ylen13

--PARIDISE-- said:
I have never in my life seen stop LIGHTS 10 feet apart. That's the length of a car. :rolleyes:
seen that before and i hat getting stuck there :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">