• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Always curious about this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AJStarr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont

I have been wondering about this for a few years now.

About 4 years ago when I got my car traded in, I was headed home one day.

-I got to a 4 way intersection.
-Woman on my left is the ONLY ONE else there. She is waving me through like she's pissed. I am moving about 2mph, and I get sick of watching her flail like a rat on a hot coal, and I pull out.
-Admittedly, I KNOW I did a rolling stop.
-A cop about 7 doors over; Barrels out of his spot, cutting off the car behind him... barrels into the same intersection with NO BLINKER, cutting off the woman who had been waving me out.... did a u-turn in the middle of that intersection... cut her off AGAIN going about 15mph out of the same turn I did AGAIN with no blinker... and pulled me over.

Now, I didn't get a ticket.

But if I had, and I decided to go fight it, seeing as how he broke multiple laws in pulling me over, and 2 other drivers could have hit him because of his reckless way of pulling me over... how do you think that would have gone over in court?

And no... I'm not exaggerating any of the description of how I got pulled over. I genuinely believe the reason I didn't get the ticket, is because he knew what he did to pull me over would have gotten him serious trouble for endangering other people at a busy intersection with pedestrians nearby.

CdwJava

The officer's actions have nothing to do with your action. The judge may have chastised the officer for his carelessness (though I suspect the officer would have characterized it much differently) and find you guilty, or, he may have suggested you report him to his department and find you guilty, or he may have decided that the officer deserves to be taught a lesson and finds you not guilty. I doubt the latter would happen, but it might.

The point is that there is no way to know how a court might react to any such claim by you, and any such claim would not appear to be a legal defense to your action.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Don't worry about other driver's actions. Worry about your own. Other drivers breaking the law does not mean it's okay for you to do the same.

If you have an issue with the officer's driving make a civilian complaint to his employer. But you won't get far using that in court... in your case the officer's actions had nothing to do with your violation. And the officer wouldn't be on trial, it would be you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">