• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Suspended License question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Prophet224

First, the background info:
State = Maryland
I had been pulled over for speeding and given a ticket... I do not recall how fast I was going, but it was between 10-20 miles over.

Frankly, I had forgotten about the ticket, and had not paid it several months later. I and my girlfriend were driving from Church on a Sunday, and I was pulled over for not having my seatbelt on (I know... stupid... I love VERY close to the church). The officer checked my info, and when he returned, he stated that my license was suspended. I asked him why, but he said the computer didn't say. He checked my girlfriend's licence (all was well) and he had us switch up. Now, I understand (and he made it very clear) that he could have arrested me right then. I think he recognized my complete lack of intent to commit any form of wrongdoing.
After getting home (via GF) we stayed there, of course. Her mom took me over to the court (thank goodness for her) on Monday, the next day, where I found out that I had not paid that ticket. I paid it, and we went to the DMV, where I had the Suspension lifted.

Here are the questions:
I still have a "must appear" trial coming up for "Possession of a Suspended License" and "Driving Under a Suspended License".
1. How imperative is it that I get a lawyer? It seems very open and shut.
2. What else can I do, as I don't even know how to plead? I can prepare a statement, and show the documents that say I cleared everything up the next business day after finding out about it, but any other suggestions?
3. I did not have a notice of suspension, though, I have to admit, I later found that it had fallen behind the table where I put my mail, with a few other pieces of mail. ACK! (I know, dumb again.)
4. Basically, I was unaware that I was driving with / possesing a suspended license, and I immediately took care of it....

Thanks to all!

P

Prophet224

Fair enough...

True enough, I understand that. I'm just not certain that the overall Cost-Benefit / Likelihood of serious ramifications 'equation' works out to counsel being the best option. I am in a (much less than previously but...) fair amount of debt, but I don't believe I can get a court appointed attorney due to my salary. Will they even counsel you? That is, can I go and talk to someone at the courthouse? I guess I should call them... :) Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">