• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

appeal or not to appeal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illocaneyo

FL

I was approaching an intersection in the middle lane (of 3) when a lady made a right turn onto my lane. I tried to avoid hitting her car by switching left but I hit the car in my blind spot. The lady who caused me to avoid her left and I got the ticket for careless driving. Should I appeal this ticket in court or should I just pay the ticket?

sukharev

Yes, do appeal. State what you just described, and tell the judge the accident was inevitable, because you were trying to avoid head-on collision. This is what's called the doctrine of "sudden emergency" (you can mention it). Google up the details for your state, and whether this doctrine is recognized by Florida courts. Even if it's not, you can still say this, just be prepared that the judge will not be impressed. Come to court as early as possible, to be the first in line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">